DevOps Engineering Manager at Clearcover
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What is a DevOps Engineering Manager?
As the DevOps Engineering Manager, you will oversee the engineering talent and technical strategy for our DevOps Team. This role will have a direct impact on our business performance and the continued growth of our engineering teams and technologies. The DevOps Engineering Manager will partner with developers and functional business leaders to establish best practices and mature our platform capabilities. We are looking for a leader who is passionate about people and technology and who has a proven record of scaling engineering teams and systems. As we continue to expand our team this role will also have a large focus on recruiting and has several open positions aligned to this role.
What will you do?
- Coach, mentor and develop engineers
- Own the quality, scalability, security, and performance of applications, systems, and integrations in the Clearcover domain
- Set the technical strategy and execution plan for our infrastructure and SRE team.
- Build measurable goals for the SRE team and your direct reports and ensure they are meeting or exceeding those goals
- Lead and coordinate incident response activities and continually improve our operational procedures and runbooks.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team that helps each other and promotes learning and development
- Play a key role in people-related initiatives including recruiting, onboarding, performance reviews, training, career advancement, etc.
- Promote simplicity in solving complex problems across our products and teams as we scale.
What do you need?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field.
- 7+ years IT operations, DevOps, or systems infrastructure experience
- Successful track record of managing teams of DevOps, SRE or Platform engineers.
- Deep understanding of cloud computing principles and practices.
- Experience with Kubernetes (strongly preferred) or other container orchestration platforms.
- Experience with CI/CD frameworks (Jenkins, GitHub, etc) and best practices.
- Experience with systems observability (or monitoring, e.g. DataDog, Prometheus, Kafka, Cloudwatch, Sumo)
- Experience hiring, mentoring, coaching and developing top engineering talent with a focus on increasing diverse perspectives
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
- Ability to provide honest, direct and actionable feedback to the team and follow up with relevant coaching and guidance
- Experience in a fast paced, Agile, continuous integration environment
- Creativity, fearlessness and an unwavering commitment to putting the customer first
Nice to haves?
- Experience scaling engineering teams
- Experience in a start-up environment
- Experience assessing scalability, performance and security
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited PTO, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover the vast majority of your premiums to make the cost of you and your family's coverage affordable. Plus, we contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social (for once we’re back in the office)
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.