DIGITAL ARCHITECT, CAT DIGITAL
JOB PURPOSE: To define the relationships, flows and implementation of business (processes/activities/functions, information), applications, data and technology in the enterprise and the transitional process necessary for implementing technology in response to changing business needs. The position provides leadership for application architecture plans, technology design and lifecycle, and information integrity by promoting reuse through digital processes/reviews and standard compliance practices. A Digital Architect will help develop architectural approaches and solutions, participate or lead architectural reviews and recommend how to proceed with the applications (replace, retire, maintain, etc.)
JOB DUTIES: This position is recognized within the Cat Digital community as an expert in their technical or business sub-domain. The Digital Architect will create and maintain architectural best practices, addressing application, data and technology in the context of business process across defined business functions(s) or technology domain(s).
Key areas of accountability include participating in the development of Architecture Solutions for Strategic Cat Digital projects and programs; provide input into global technology roadmaps and application evolution plans; act as a researcher and evaluator of new technology, information or integration standards; and participate in IT digital strategy development for a specific technical or business domain.
Responsibilities include one or more of the following:
- Participate in the Architecture assessment and design for infrastructure domains that provide core capabilities for the enterprise.
- Lead Architecture design of integrated systems across site or regional projects and programs.
- Participate in the design and implementation of enterprise data model and metadata structures.
- Define which data is extracted and the rules by which it is transformed for simple to moderately complex projects.
- Participate in technology evaluation and recommendations.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of current and planned state architecture blue prints.
- Provides input for Cat Digital Technology and Application Rationalization efforts.
- Applies an enterprise-wide view to solutions to support the adoption of standards and practices and promote reuse.
- Participates in the analysis of technology industry and market trends to determine their potential impact on the Enterprise Architecture.
- Assist in the development and alignment of the digital roadmaps with the Digital and Business strategy.
- Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
1. Common Skills: Leadership, Team working, Inter-personal and Influential skills.
2. Business Skills & Methods: - Business case development, business process mapping, strategic planning.
3. Enterprise Architecture Skills: - architecture modeling, building block design, applications and role design and systems integration
4. Program or Project Management Skills: - Managing business change, project management methods and tools, etc.
5. Digital General Knowledge Skills: - Brokering applications, asset management, migration planning, SLAs, etc.
6. Technical Skills: - Deep expertise in one to many areas including software engineering, security, data interchange, data management, network, database, servers, storage, collaboration or other technical areas.
BACKGROUND/EXPERIENCE: Typically, this position will require an accredited, four-year Information Technology degree, a closely related technical degree, or equivalent experience. Progressively related experience of least 6-10 years and recognition as a sub-domain expert is necessary.
Strong demonstratable experience delivering component, product, and/or enterprise architecture in public cloud and/or hybrid eco-systems.
Must have demonstratable experience in one or more of the following: massive real-time event and message processing, data lakes, Big Data transformations and analytics, complex e-commerce applications, IoT edge and cloud data processing, SQL and NoSQL data modeling
Strong hands on coding experience with any of Core Java, Spring, Python, etc.
Strong hands-on development experience in public cloud environment
Must have excellent communication and influential skills
Top Candidates Will Have
Understanding of Agile SDLC implementation in public cloud eco-system including environments management, test automation, peer review, CI/CD, resource optimization, etc.
AWS development experience
Familiarity with ML and data analytics
Understanding of enterprise data integration and analytical platforms (C3 IoT, Pentaho, Snaplogic,..)
Open source project contribution
A certification in TOGAF or similar framework is highly desirable.