Director of Engineering at Kin Insurance
Kin Insurance is on a mission to change home insurance from what it could be to what it should be. We're proud to offer affordable insurance coverage in areas most impacted by climate change, like Florida, California and Louisiana, that pay more for insurance than anywhere else in America.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In's 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.So, what's the role?
As Director of Engineering your primary responsibility will be to scale up Kin's engineering organization. We are in the midst of rapid and exciting growth of both our business and teams, and Kin is set to cross some big milestones over the coming months. We are looking for a great technology leader to continue to drive the creative, empathetic, and driven engineering culture that has carried us through thus far.A day in the life could include:
- Hire and launch new engineering teams
- Mentor and coach engineering managers, team leads, and engineering staff
- Collaborate with tech leadership (Product, QA, Design, etc) on organizational strategies
- Foster growth and professional development within software engineering
- Identify opportunities to innovate and improve processes, and drive solutions
- Experience scaling a dev team from < 20 to over 50
- Some, but not all experience in Ruby/Rails. Our ideal candidate has 4+ years of Rails experience, but has worked in other non-Ruby environments
- Great blend of technical management and people management skills.
- Experience in product-driven organizations with product as a peer
- Ability to drive innovation from the bottom up of the engineering org
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Remote Work (due to Covid-19) and flexible work hours
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we're making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We're a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it's how we treat each other. That's one of the many reasons we've been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.EEOC Statement
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don't discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.