Our Value Proposition: Clearcover is a venture-backed technology start-up disrupting the trillion dollar legacy insurance market. We’ve focused on building products that create confident, happy customers - and we’re flourishing. We believe in putting our people first, paying them well and working together to solve tough problems. If you’d like a high-growth opportunity with an award-winning company, let’s chat.
In this role: As the Director of Engineering you will oversee the engineering talent and technical strategy for multiple domains and technical areas focused on our core product and APIs . This is a new role for Clearcover as we continue to expand as a business and grow our engineering teams. This role will report directly to the VP of Engineering and have a direct impact on our business performance and the continued growth of our engineering teams and technologies. The Director of Engineering will partner with Product Directors, functional business leaders, the VP of Engineering to accomplish large business and technology objectives. This role will have direct reporting responsibility for 2-4 engineering teams. We are looking for a leader who is passionate about people and technology and who has a proven record of scaling engineering teams and systems.
What will you do?
- Mentor, coach and develop individual contributors and managers
- Foster a high performing engineering culture which attracts a diverse spectrum of top engineering talent
- Own the quality, scalability, security, and performance of applications, systems, and integrations in the Clearcover domain
- Measure and improve team engagement and productivity
- Set the technical strategy and execution plan for the domain
- Represent Clearcover as a brand ambassador to the local technology community
- Partner with the Director of Product to enable business value creation, as well as the stability and scalability of our solutions.
- Build measurable goals with your teams and direct reports and ensure they are meeting or exceeding those goals
- Promote simplicity in solving complex problems across our products and teams as we scale.
- Play a key role in people-related initiatives including recruiting, onboarding, performance reviews, training, career advancement, etc.
What do you have?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field. MS preferred.
- 12+ years’ experience in software design and development
- 5+ years of experience leading multiple high-performing engineering teams, preferably in the ecommerce industry
- Experience developing and getting stakeholder and engineer buy-in to execute a long-term technical strategy
- Expertise establishing and managing both onshore and offshore teams
- Several years' experience building backend API centric software solutions
- Deep understanding of cloud computing principles and practices.
- Strong expertise with languages/ technologies such as Ruby Java, TypeScript, Kotlin, .NET, Scala, etc
- A strong understanding of database technologies
- Prove expertise in agile software development
- A proven ability to develop engineering managers and to build and retain diverse engineering teams
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
- Ability to provide honest, direct and actionable feedback to the team and follow up with relevant coaching and guidance
- Experience in a fast paced, Agile, continuous integration environment
- Creativity, fearlessness and an unwavering commitment to putting the customer first
But wait, there’s more: As a people-first company, your health and well-being is a priority at Clearcover. While we do offer medical (and cover the vast majority of the premium), dental, vision (and cover 100% of those premiums) and 401K (we contribute 3% even if you contribute nothing), we’ve curated a stack of perks and benefits that stretch beyond the expected. With over half of our employees remote to the Chicago HQ office, we paved the way for flexible work locations and continue to offer this flexibility. Our people also have access to unlimited vacation, monthly mental health workshops, discounted gym memberships, equity in the company and an annual bonus program. Plus, if Clearcover is available in your state, you could have access to an employee discount on auto-insurance! Excited to learn more? Complete the application below!
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.