Director, Engineering at FOURKITES
At FourKites, we enable a trillion dollar logistics industry to become adaptive with a deep fabric of integrated real time data, predictive analytics and phenomenal customer service.
We solve big problems - not just because we want to, but because our customers demand that of us. We track millions of assets in over 60 countries globally, we created a highly available born-in-the-cloud platform to support this highly demanding, data driven business.
About the team:
We welcome people from all backgrounds who are driven by a passion of creating great engineering teams and awesome products that users love. We are looking for a passionate, entrepreneurial & hands-on engineering leader to lead our engineering team in Chicago. You should love working with and coaching engineers. We have a distributed team so your ninja-like communication skills will come to good use. We value team cohesion and leaders who are collaborative in their approach.
What you'll be doing:
- You will lead a distributed engineering team and serve as the head of engineering in Chicago.
- Hire, nurture and mentor top engineering talent. Create a team to be proud of!
- Understand the business working closely with product management, customer service and support to help inform engineering roadmaps, priorities and be responsive to customer needs.
- Enable your team to innovate and deliver roadmap features with agility and high quality
- Execute consistently, rapidly, and effectively to take ideas from concept to production and drive delivery excellence.
- Be a caretaker of the platform. Champion availability, scalability, resiliency, performance, observability and maintainability as part of ongoing development.
- Represent your team and product line in cross-functional discussions.
- Support product operations and SRE teams in backstopping production issues and incidents.
Who you are:
- Overall 12+ years of experience in software development & strong computer science fundamentals with 5+ years managing a team of 10+ software engineers
- Strong design and architecture exposure in building large scale enterprise SaaS solutions using cloud technologies.
- Experience in designing, implementing and maintaining high performance, high availability (24x7), large-scale web/mobile based software applications leveraging Node.js, Java, RESTful APIs, etc.
- Knowledge of popular JS frameworks and libraries (React or Angular, Backbone, Underscore, etc.)
- Experience with Web technologies such as HTML5, CSS3, Webpack, LESS, Bootstrap, Dust
- Experience with Relational and No-SQL databases, message queues/brokers
- Exposure to big data technologies including Hadoop, Spark, Kafka and Elasticsearch
- Strong communication skills and ability to grasp and convey complex product requirements or technical concepts
- Ability to work in a fast paced, iterative development environment
- Excellent command of software development life cycle activities including analysis, design, development, unit and system testing, production deployment and post-production support
FourKites is the largest predictive supply chain visibility platform, delivering real-time visibility and predictive analytics for the broadest network of Global 1000 companies and third-party logistics firms. Using a proprietary algorithm to calculate shipment arrival times, FourKites enables customers to lower operating costs, improve on-time performance and strengthen end-customer relationships. With a network of more than four million GPS/ELD devices, FourKites covers all modes, including truckload, LTL, ocean, rail, intermodal, last mile and parcel. The platform is optimized for mobile and equipped with market-leading end-to-end security.
If you are a California resident, here is our California Applicant Privacy Notice.