Director, Enterprise Engineering Group
We connect customers to the brands they love by way of a thriving marketplace and a members-only service that provides benefits across 140+ of the best online stores. Our members save time and money with benefits including free 2-day shipping, easy 2-click checkout, and free returns all while we help them stay up on the latest trends that appeal.
For merchants, we're driving eCommerce business, producing insights with a growing data analytics practice to boot. With a powerful two-sided network and a robust data platform, we're creating an eCommerce win-win, helping retailers compete. The landscape of retail is changing and we're here to empower retailers to take their place in that exciting evolution.
We have people in offices around the world: Headquartered in Chicago, with offices in Conshohocken, PA (Philly area), New York, San Mateo and Krakow, Poland. We hustle to get things done, creating wins for customers, merchants and each other.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Enterprise team is focused on increasing the value of ShopRunner to our retailers by launching new products and features to enhance their customer experience. We will discover innovative ways of utilizing our unique customer relationships and data to build experiences that exceed customer expectations for our retail partners. We will also look for opportunities to replace other vendors that our partners pay for to support features on their site by building solutions that beat out the competition.
As the Director of our Enterprise Engineering Group, you’ll run a technology group consisting of 5 or more teams in multiple offices delivering products and solutions that enhance our retailer’s web experiences and customer journey. Your teams work at both the service and browser tier, building solutions that can be reused across our retailer network with a minimum amount of customization and configuration. Each product we ship has instant scale if designed well, and product opportunities run the gamut from merchandising placements, product detail page enhancements, checkout page, and post-purchase web and email. The Enterprise technology group is critical to ShopRunner by setting the bar for performance and engineering for ShopRunner with each and every retailer relationship we have.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING:
In this role, you will be running a technology group consisting of 5 or more teams in multiple offices, and balance your time between delivery, talent management, product and technology planning, and performance analysis of our application portfolio. You will work with your peers running other parts of the technology organization to coordinate cross-team projects and delivery as well as drive initiatives across the Shoprunner 90-plus engineering organization. To keep the whole team informed, you will seek to radiate about your team’s allocation, performance, costs, and opportunity to the larger team.
- You’ll set the vision and mission for your group, and get people excited.
- You’ll recruit and retain the best talent, and identify key gaps in your organization.
- You’ll mentor your managers and senior engineers, helping them tackle and achieve career objectives.
- You’ll manage expectations both within your organization and the broader management team, with candor and empathy.
Other activities and areas of focus for you will include:
- Your group’s Objectives and Key Results (OKRs). You’ll make them visible across the company and create energy around them.
- Ongoing evaluation of opportunities and threats for the Enterprise tech org: what technology looms on the horizon that we should invest in or be more familiar with? what’s happening in the retailer landscape that will potentially change our focus or business?
- Post-mortems on products and projects launched -- what went well, what can be improved, and what was the business impact?
- Staffing decisions and team-level investment decisions, working alongside product.
- Managing 3rd party development and operational costs, down and to the right.
- Helping to unblock your team and facilitate issue resolution working the broader technology org.
- Identifying and tracking health metrics and customer experience metrics.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU:
- You love building teams, and building solutions for customers.
- You have high expectations for yourself and those around you.
- You hate missing deadlines, and hold yourself accountable every day.
- You don’t ask your team to do something you wouldn’t do yourself.
- You love celebrating a win with your teams.
- You don’t mind occasional (a few times a month) travel to visit your teammates in other offices.
- You are biased towards action, a doer.
- You would rather try something early, and fail (but learn) then plan ad nauseum.
- You believe in test driven development, 12 factor, agile development principles, continuous delivery, and A/B testing when used to inform your next product move.
- You know when to build cheaply, and when to invest in architecture.
- You know how to evangelize a new approach and get organizational support.
- You have an ownership mentality.
- You identify organizational issues quickly.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher with a technical discipline.
- Substantial experience managing software development teams and shipping software-based products or services
- Experience managing multiple teams, tracks, or groups.
- Experience working with distributed teams.
- Experience creating strong relationships across a complex organization.
- An excellent communicator.
We want you to bring your whole human self to work every single day. We accept you for who you are and consider everyone on an equal opportunity basis without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.