Director of Software Development at RedShelf
Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective using digital instructional resources. Partnering with more than 400 publishers and 1,900 campuses nationwide, we provide leading-edge digital course materials and an end-to-end Content Delivery System for effortlessly distributing those materials.
We are looking for a Director of Software Development, specializing in modern Data, BI, and back-end technologies. This candidate is excited about leading, inspiring, and mentoring an application development team. The technical and cross-functional problems in this role are equally as important, meaning this director will need to develop partnerships with other teams to establish empathy and understand their use cases.Your responsibilities:
- Lead the multiple back-end focused teams concurrently utilizing SOA, WebServices, OAuth, SSO, B2B integrations, Data Architecture, and BI Data Analytics as a director reporting to C-level.
- Lead innovation across all data analytics and reporting responsibilities resulting in insights that improve corporate decision making.
- 5+ years of application development management experience building productive, high functioning teams. You should be able to describe why these teams were high functioning and what you specifically did to ensure engineers were productive.
- Build and maintain collaboration within team that will result in increased team performance, job satisfaction, and individual efficiency.
- Partners with Team Leads, Technical Architects, and DevOps within RedShelf to ensure architecture decisions adhere to our best practices.
- Demonstrate personal proficiency in SOA, WebServices, OAuth, SSO, and B2B integrations.
- Lead data and analytics activities from a business perspective, while helping internal and external clients succeed through new projects as well as evolve existing projects.
- Must understand data architecture, streaming technologies, and the ability to help lead the design and implementation of data ingestion pipelines, data warehousing strategies and supporting models and structures.
- Present proposals, cutting edge market strategies in BI, and proactively recommend strategies to grow Data & Analytics practices.
- Work with Agile metrics to understand the current velocity of the team and help the team have iterative maturity progress be as efficient as possible, without risking quality.
- Stay current with back-end, data analytics, reporting techniques and technologies.
- Possess a deep knowledge of analytics technology landscape and standards. Propose key trends and platform vendors that can help RedShelf succeed in their goal.
- Provide overall technical & architecture guidance for back-end, data and analytics related technologies as well as relevant integrated technologies.
- Build and maintain successful support relationships with relevant partners such as AWS, Microsoft, Domo, Snowflake, and more
- Responsible for the design, refinement and execution of data development lifecycle and reporting using a variety of systems, processes, and metrics, to ensure the availability of accurate and insightful information.
- 10+ years of experience focused on back-end technologies plus business intelligence reporting, data & analytics projects with big data technologies.
- Experience in several BI tools, data warehousing, cloud data platforms, data science platforms, data visualization tools, and other relevant data & analytics technology.
- Deep knowledge of data streaming services such as Kafka, Kinesis, etc.
- Leadership experience in an environment of combining data from multiple data sources into a data warehouse, data lake, reports, and end user applications.
- Experience leading a fully cloud-based environment with several teams.
- A history of growing existing client base, organic business development responsibilities, growing new clients from the ground up, and maintaining existing ones.
- Skillful in managing and leading people, including mentoring and coaching.
- Great communication and client-facing skills and ability to communicate clearly and present to senior leadership and executives.
- Demonstrated ability to work on deadlines in an agile environment, structure team’s work, design, and drive projects from their inception to completion.
- Proven ability to communicate reporting status and data strategy effectively with executive leaders.
- Deep experience with end-to-end data management, including working with a variety of source platforms and formats and ETL to multiple platforms.
- Experience in one or more of these reporting tools: Domo, Power BI, Tableau, Cognos, MicroStrategy, etc.
- Experience in relational databases like Postgres, Oracle, SQL Server
- Team building ability that ensures the empowerment of team members that helps them achieve their goals in a timely manner.
- Team player and strong ability to work with other disciplines across departments.
- Strategic thinking, and ability to quickly grasp complex issues.
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.