Director, Software Engineering
The Team: At Morningstar, we want to help more people build long-term value through investing, leading them to independence and, eventually, giving them the financial freedom to live their lives as they choose. The keys to achieving our goal are useful, high quality software and data products.
The Role: In this role, you will lead software teams of various sizes that build useful, reliable, secure, and scalable software products and solutions. In addition to managing people and processes, you will often be called upon to provide subject matter expertise in the areas of software architecture and engineering, systems design, and integration.
As the Director of Software Engineering, you will be responsible for hiring, allocating resources, motivating, and driving teams to deliver high-quality software on schedule to meet the needs of the business. You are a seasoned Engineering Leader who can grow teams of software engineers, building agile and scalable technology solutions. You will work closely with other leaders and teams to ensure alignment with company-wide goals.
• Provide team leadership, including technical skill development, issue resolution, and coaching.
• Provide holistic oversight of software development and product architecture enabling teams to estimate thoughtfully and deliver software on time
• Work in support of multiple agile release trains, epics and scrum teams providing technical oversight and leadership to embedded software engineers and leads.
• Lead investigation of new software packages/vendors, APIs, and algorithms to deliver quality solutions at enterprise scale.
• Ensure rigorous engineering and development processes.
• Advocate/lead best practices for performance, reliability, scalability, security, and reusability
• Recruit, hire, and mentor exceptional software engineering talent.
• Collaborate with Enterprise Domain architects to lead the delivery of foundational and transformative software solutions.
• Facilitate discussions and resolve conflicts involving technical approaches, designs, and personnel
• Inspire and motivate teams to create a strong culture of engineering excellence
• Bachelors degree in Computer Science/Engineering equivalent
• 12+ years of proven experience developing commercial quality software products and solutions
• Demonstrated experience defining, refining, and maintaining application architectures for sophisticated end-user software products
• Deep knowledge of a variety of technology components and stacks
• Experience in agile development practices
• Deep understanding of performance, reliability, scalability, security, and reusability tactics and strategies
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Experience managing multiple teams of various sizes in different geographies
• Deep understanding of AWS cloud platform and SaaS architectures
• Familiarity with the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) secure coding practices