Electrical Controls Engineer
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national chains of retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 89 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 1,100 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
The Electrical Controls Engineer will lead the development of electrical programming and controls for GTI’s automated production line across multiple facilities. This role will oversee controls around security, monitoring, wiring protocols, PLCs, and equipment standards, and will be responsible for overseeing direction of external vendors in keeping with GTI’s goals and standards. The right candidate for us has a strong electrical engineering background, experience in manufacturing automation, and is comfortable working cross-functionally with both external vendors and internal stakeholder. If you are a problem-solving, agile team player with no ego, get stuff done with excellence human, we want to connect!
This role may be based either in our Chicago headquarters, or in one of our production facilities. Significant travel (50%) is required.
- Own electrical/controls/automation and standardization planning and development across our manufacturing operation
- Plan and execute the standardization of sensors, probes, HMI’s, hardware and software, etc.
- Work in collaboration with the Project Engineer, marketing, R&D, and other internal stakeholders to develop manufacturing equipment specifications that align with GTI goals, and industry code/regulations.
- Lead the development of standards focused on electrical, controls, and programming infrastructure and process.
- Communicate and oversee standards and expectations regarding programming with external vendors
- Troubleshoot and resolve electrical and programming problems across the operations manufacturing organization
- Other duties as assigned
- 3+ years in Operational Technology, with a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field
- CPG/Manufacturing experience is preferred
- Able to travel (50%)
- Proficiency with Ladder Logic, Wonderware, Rockwell, or similar engineering tools and platforms
- Experience troubleshooting and resolving electrical and control systems issues
- Proficiency reading and understanding electrical drawings
- Strong verbal / written communication, presentation skills
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage large-scale projects from conception to implementation
- Ability to work effectively with little supervision; highly independent / flexible setting priorities
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and shift focus between tasks / projects
- Ability to collaboratively lead / influence stakeholders across organizational functions
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.
Read Full Job Description