Engineering Director, Backend (Growth Marketing) at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm is looking for a dynamic growth marketing engineering director to lead the engineering teams responsible for our consumer and B2B marketing technology stack, comms deployment capabilities and organic growth. These initiatives span email & push channels, organic growth strategies, and advertising technology for our consumer base, as well marketing automation for new and existing merchants. In this role, you will help drive the evolution and execution of our engagement and retention platforms and manage engineering teams that build tools to support email development, comms deployment, and campaign operations.
As a Director of Growth Engineering, you will focus on executing data-driven lifecycle marketing strategies for email & CRM as well as related programs and channels including messaging, segmentation, optimization, push notifications, retargeting, promotional offers, and testing with an emphasis on operational excellence, process optimization and partnership building across the marketing and product orgs.
Reporting directly to our Head of Customer Outreach, the ideal candidate has had hands-on experience owning technical roadmaps for consumer and B2B facing e-commerce environments; is passionate about CRM innovation; and is adept at transforming product roadmaps, leveraging personalization and custom segmentation, into actionable engineering initiatives.
This position plays an instrumental role in defining the long-term direction of our growth stack, owned web properties and marketing automation tools. You will work closely with a number of cross-functional stakeholders across Product, Creative, Analytics, Engineering and Marketing to drive conversion and retention and ensure the sustained growth of an engaged customer base.What you'll do
- Growth Marketing Platform Roadmap: Leadership team member, driving the vision, strategy, and results for Affirm’s CRM & Email Marketing program, encompassing marketing, transactional, and lifecycle programs supporting growth and retention across the business
- Email Operations: Manage the team responsible for building and integrating tools to enable development, deployment and day-to-day operations of all customer-facing email and push marketing (both promotional and triggered campaigns)
- Team Leadership and Management: Mentor and grow a world class growth marketing engineering team
- Experimentation: Develop tooling to support A/B and multivariate testing
- Innovation: Participate in innovated solutions to improve the practices and processes of Product Engineering
- Process Development & Implementation: Improve growth marketing engineering efficiencies to achieve greater team velocity and predictability
- Vendor Management & Partnerships: Work with technology vendors to manage our technology stack and enhance our operational capabilities
- Stakeholder Management: Coordinate with cross-functional stakeholders to realize the product vision
- Marketing & Product Partnership: Work closely with marketing and product to test and improve our transactional and marketing notifications, and improve the effectiveness of owned channels
- 4-6+ years of experience as a software engineer with leadership responsibilities and 3+ years as an engineering director
- A demonstrable track record of executing a growth marketing roadmap
- Passion for working with cross-functional teams including Product, Design, Analytics and Business teams
- Expert at synthesizing complex business, product, and technical requirements to consistently produce high quality system designs and software
- Humble and authentic leadership, which places the needs of others first and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible
- Experience scaling systems in a service oriented architecture preferred but not required
- Experience with Segment, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, Salesforce Sales Cloud, Branch preferred but not required
- Humility and self-awareness to understand and navigate the unknown
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.