Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
The Platform Orchestration team enables engineers in our organization to bootstrap and manage the services that power Affirm. Starting with our core compute infrastructure, our vision is to build a self-serve system that every engineering team at Affirm can use to configure and deploy global products. This is a high impact team with visibility across the entire company and it will play a crucial role enabling Affirm deliver a great product to our customers faster.
The team is part of Affirm’s Platform & Infrastructure Engineering organization which provides shared infrastructure and framework for the Product engineering teams. The goals are to build and provide software, systems and tools that allow the rest of engineering to produce and deploy software that is scalable, reliable, secure, correct, consistent, instrumented and well tested.
As a Manager for the Platform Orchestration team, you will combine a strong understanding of application architecture, smooth developer experiences and fast-paced execution to deliver a powerful self-serve system to help Affirm scale easily. This will need you to apply a customer-centric approach across the engineering organization to help the team craft and execute on a long-term roadmap.
What you’ll do
- Lead inclusive teams, mentoring engineers and technical leads, and teaching proven practices that help teams grow.
- Develop strong product and architectural vision and demonstrate your ability to collaborate, communicate, advocate, and execute on that vision
- Work with dozens of stakeholders across the engineering organization to adopt a customer focused approach to building long term roadmaps that will power the rest of Affirm engineering
What we look for
Location: We’re excited to announce that Affirm is now a remote-first company! This role can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of Quebec). Remote based employees may occasionally travel to an Affirm office for meetings or team building events. Our offices in San Francisco, New York City, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Salt Lake City will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis.
- Communication skills that leverage empathy and compassion to build trust, resolve conflicts, and provide feedback to your team
- Extensive experience using modern software delivery to develop cloud-based services using Python, JVM-Based languages and AWS infrastructure.
- In-depth, hands-on experience building platforms at scale for containerized workloads, particularly leveraging Kubernetes, including cluster provisioning, operations, and workflow orchestration.
- Experience configuring, managing and scaling storage, streaming, security and other systems that are needed to ship production systems
- Understanding of continuous integration / continuous deployment processes and tools.
What you’ll learn
Join us as we build a beloved, lasting financial services company predicated on honesty and trust. In this role, you’ll understand the exciting challenges of helping a fast-growing company move towards a service-oriented architecture - diving into the scaling and availability challenges of infrastructural components that are the fundamental building blocks of a large scale system. You’ll hone your ability to anticipate and recognize how to apply different technologies to solve a wide array of real world problems across the organization - all while building teams and working cross functionally with talented peers.