Engineering Manager - Quality Lead at Clearcover
Our Value Proposition: Clearcover is a venture-backed technology start-up disrupting the trillion-dollar legacy insurance market. We’ve focused on building products that create confident, happy customers - and we’re flourishing. We believe in putting our people first, paying them well, and working together to solve tough problems. If you’d like a high-growth opportunity with an award-winning company, let’s chat.
In this role, you will be reporting to our Director of Engineering, the Engineering Manager - Quality Lead will work with the Product and Engineering teams to deeply understand our technical products and is accountable for the overall quality of software deliveries as well as the coaching and mentoring of the Quality Engineering team.
What will you do as an Engineer Manager - Quality Lead?
- Lead a team of quality engineers (embedded in scrum teams) in design, development, testing and deployment of software products
- Provide technical direction on quality engineering and own tracking and reporting of overall quality across all engineering teams
- Develop and drive test strategies for complex features and systems
- Define and review test plans for large, high risk features and ensure thorough test coverage for all applications involved
- Work closely with quality engineers and scrum teams and provide hands-on testing support as needed
- Define and execute on short and long term plan for quality and keep progress visible through frequent reports
- Establish and improve testing processes and drive efficiency through test automation
- Build measurable goals with your teams and direct reports and ensure they are meeting or exceeding those goals
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team that helps each other with a willingness to learn and teach each other - within the team
- Work with product managers, engineers and stakeholders and influence key release decisions based on risk analysis and product readiness
- Play a key role in people-related initiatives including recruiting, onboarding, performance reviews, training, career advancement, etc.
What will you bring as an Engineering Manager - Quality Lead?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field. MS preferred.
- Strong technical background delivering or testing software products
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency and drive
- Strong experience of testing in service oriented architecture and data flows through different systems
- Deep understanding of agile testing principles and practices
- Proven expertise in implementing automated test solutions using open source technologies
- Experience hiring, mentoring, coaching and developing top engineering talent with a focus on increasing diverse perspectives
- Successful track record of managing large team of quality engineers in an agile environment and project management skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
- Ability to provide honest, direct and actionable feedback to the team and follow up with relevant coaching and guidance
Nice to haves as an Engineer Manager - Quality Lead?
- Experience scaling engineering team
- Experience in a start-up environment
- Experience assessing scalability, performance and security
But wait, there’s more:
As a people-first company, your health and well-being is a priority at Clearcover. While we do offer medical (and cover the vast majority of the premium), dental, vision (and cover 100% of those premiums) and 401K (we contribute 3% even if you contribute nothing), we’ve curated a stack of perks and benefits that stretch beyond the expected. With over half of our employees remote to the Chicago HQ office, we paved the way for flexible work locations and continue to offer this flexibility. Our people also have access to unlimited vacation, monthly mental health workshops, discounted gym memberships, equity in the company and an annual bonus program. Plus, if Clearcover is available in your state, you could have access to an employee discount on auto-insurance! Excited to learn more? Complete the application below!