We're building a world class team dedicated to improving our product and customer experience with every interaction. The Ocient team consists of highly technical engineers, and understanding the end-to-end development, sales, and delivery cycle is key to adding unique value to the organization.
Ocient is searching for an experienced Engineering Manager to help run our growing Database-as-a-Service offering for our cutting-edge data analytics solutions. The ideal candidate will have a broad background with expertise in infrastructure and running production cloud services.
- Manage a team responsible for all elements of designing, implementing, and operating a production service. This includes everything from infrastructure, deployment, and observability.
- Provide effective guidance on prioritization. Balance the tactical, day-to-day needs of the business while maintaining a roadmap for future enhancements, projects, and plans to address technical debt.
- Collaborate with other architects and technical leaders to define the technical vision and priorities for the service.
- Drive the implementation of a holistic approach to automation: starting from bare metal provisioning, OS installation, through application deployment, maintenance, and testing.
- Grow the current team’s capabilities while also expanding the team by hiring top talent.
- Create, follow, and tailor team processes for prioritization, change management, capacity planning, and quality control.
- Provide hands-on contributions where necessary. Review and provide constructive feedback on work products created by other team members.
- Provide mentorship and guidance for career development.
- 10+ years of industry experience two or more of the following domains: Infrastructure Engineering, Site Reliability Engineering, Solution Architecture, Software Development, Data Center Operations, and Security Engineering.
- 2+ years of people management experience.
- Previous experience running a production cloud or managed service offering is highly desired.
- Proficient in end-to-end systems architecture, including software, networking, compute, and storage deployed in on-prem, cloud, and hybrid environments.
- Knowledge of Agile development methodologies (Scrum, Kanban).
- Familiar with DevOps and Site Reliability Engineering concepts and best practices, including Infrastructure as Code, Automation, and Observability.
- A passion for staying up-to-date with the latest technologies and trends.
- Ability to work flexible hours and serve in an on-call rotation.
- Willingness to “roll up your sleeves” in a hybrid “player-coach” role and collaborate with colleagues to get the job done.
Ideal Qualifications and Experience
- Prior experience and/or background in data analytics or database technologies.
- Experience contributing and leading efforts to satisfy regulatory compliance initiatives (PCI, SOC2).
- Demonstrated ability to implement secure development processes and leverage a “security first” mindset.