Engineering Manager at PEAK6
We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It's been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always proving value to the customer. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You'll find a bit of everything here, and we're always looking to take on new endeavors.
Our environment is fast-paced and collaborative, and though our current project is written in Java and deployed to EKS, we routinely encounter and work in different languages, frameworks, and systems. We value engineers who are proficient in multiple languages because we know they can quickly learn the next one that comes up. We’ve recently written software in Java, Golang, and Python.
As an Engineering Manager you’ll have a big impact across PEAK6. You’ll work with our propriety trading and clearing entities and have genuine opportunities to partner with PEAK6’s Product Managers and impact our overall engineering strategy. This is a role for someone who flourishes in a fast-paced environment, has a strong technical background and has a customer/product mindset.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Manage a local team of engineers and managing an efficient team delivery process that delivers roadmap features whilst balancing investment into technical infrastructure
- Build relationships with and collaborate with product managers, customers, other engineering managers, internal and external partners
- Contribute to strategic direction - planning the product roadmap, escalating any issues, and actioning feedback to ensure success
- Be accountable for the technical output of the team
- Coach and develop software engineers by setting performance expectations, performance reviews, promotions, career planning
- Act as an ambassador both internally and externally and actively be involved in recruiting
What you need to succeed:
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other demanding engineering degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience working in Capital Markets preferably with Quantitative background
- Strong technical credentials, with at least 2-4 years’ experience managing software development teams, ideally with some hands-on architectural or distributed systems experience
- Technical hands-on coding background, preferably with Java and Go
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences, including executives and non-technical leaders
- Experience working with and leading a team in an agile environment
- Familiarity with test-driven development and best practices
- Highly self-motivated with strong analytical problem-solving skills
- Curiosity and eagerness to learn and improve on existing approaches
- Previous experience in a managerial role, building/growing a technical team
- Strong knowledge and experience of SDLC methodologies