Engineering Manager at Clearcover
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
Reporting to our VP of Engineering, the Engineering Manager will work with the Product and Engineering teams to deeply understand our technical products and is accountable for the overall delivery and support of systems and features with the highest quality. This role will have director reporting responsibilities for 1-2 scrum teams.
What will you do?
- Lead 1-2 cross functional teams of engineers to design and build customer experiences
- Coach and mentor individual contributors
- Build measurable goals with your teams and direct reports and ensure they are meeting or exceeding those goals
- Execute end-to-end software development and deployment in an agile environment
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team that helps each other with a willingness to learn and teach each other - within the team
- Iterate with our UX and Product teams in an agile environment to bring features from conception to launch
- Work with Product and Project Management to ensure high quality, timely output
- Help triage issues, track software defects, and ensure their timely resolution
- Promote simplicity in solving complex problems across our products and teams as we scale
- Mentor, coach, and grow engineers
- Play a key role in people-related initiatives including recruiting, onboarding, performance reviews, training, career advancement, etc.
What do you have?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field. MS preferred.
- Experience in software design and development
- Experience managing a team of software engineers
- Deep understanding of cloud computing principles and practices
- Prove expertise in agile software development
- Experience hiring, mentoring, coaching and developing top engineering talent with a focus on increasing diverse perspectives
- Successful track record of managing small teams of engineers and project management skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
- Ability to provide honest, direct and actionable feedback to the team and follow up with relevant coaching and guidance
- Experience with monolithic applications, service oriented distributed applications and preferably experience breaking up the best parts of a monolith into services
Nice to haves:
- Experience scaling engineering team
- Experience in a start-up environment
- Experience assessing scalability, performance and security
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited vacation, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover the vast majority of your premiums to make the cost of you and your family's coverage affordable. Plus, we contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.