Enterprise Architect at RedShelf
Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective through the use of digital instructional resources. Partnering with more than 400 publishers and 1,900 campuses nationwide, we provide leading-edge digital course materials and an end-to-end Content Delivery System for effortlessly distributing those materials.
The Enterprise Architect is a key role within our Center of Excellence which will lead alignment of overall architectural design within our product development life cycle across application development, infrastructure and operations. This role will enable both our product and technology teams to ensure that we are delivering pinnacle software experiences for our customers while driving efficient and effective deliveries. This role is key in identifying and implementing enterprise solutions that will further enable our rapid growth and continuous improvement. As a senior self-starter position, this will be a mix of hands on and technical leadership, coaching and mentoring team members, guiding our architectural review process, and documenting our current and future system states from the architecture to data flow. Candidate must operate well in a performance driven culture, support progressive change, create pragmatic solutions, and operate as a servant-leader.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Establishing and guiding enterprise architecture across product and technical teams to drive best practices
- Leading architectural transformation while ensuring current release goals are met
- Working across our product development life cycle from early design thinking through measurement and product maturation
- Works with the CTO & Engineering/Product VP’s and Directors to ensure our infrastructure is being created with security, fault tolerance, and scalability as major focuses
- Optimize operational expenses across dues and subscriptions by identifying efficiencies through negotiating contracts, combining toolsets, and moving to different technologies
- Creating / maintaining design documents that help show the current / proposed infrastructure and data flow to not just the engineering department, but also other non-technical parties
- Leads architecture review meetings, ensuring teams are focusing on creating secure, efficient systems that allow for reuse and scalability
- Works with other Center of Excellence and other key team members in coming up with new solutions for software and infrastructure architecture
- Stays on top of new advancements in services, software, and design patterns that we can possibly implement
- Must have 15+ years developing and 10+ years of experience in creating web-based software and has been a Lead / Sr. Architect in previous roles
- 5+ years Infrastructure & Operations design experience
- 5+ years architecting solutions for cloud platforms (AWS, Google, Azure, etc.)
- Must have experience creating / architecting / transforming systems and services
- Experience operating with modern agile software engineering methodologies
- Experience in working across multiple teams, onshore and offshore
- Must have a player / coach mentality that can lead others while being hands on
- Must have experience in creating SaaS, B2B and B2C systems
- Must have extensive experience with different databases / types (PostgreSQL, Redis, MySQL, MongoDB, etc) and database / schema design
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to translate technical information to the non-technical, especially upward
- Strong analytical, problem solving and diagnostic skills
- Must have a good sense of urgency and feeling of ownership over what you are assigned
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Experience with different web Frameworks (Django, Flask, Spring Boot, Laravel)
- Experience with different front end and backend languages (Python, Java, NodeJS, PHP, EmberJS, React, AngularJS)
- Experience with creating mobile solutions and services suitable for mobile consumption
- Knowledge and appreciation of the advances in higher educational software, course materials, and digital publishing is a plus
- Background and/or experience in educational technology and/or publishing
- Comfort and/or experience in a fast paced, growing environment
- Ideal candidate is self-sufficient and highly motivated, self-directed and possess high energy and a passion for RedShelf
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a
disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.