Full Stack Developer
Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective by replacing yesterday’s pricey print publications with today’s more dynamic yet far less expensive digital content. Partnering with more than 400+ publishers and 640+ campuses nationwide, we offer leading-edge digital course materials and a seamless, end-to-end Content Delivery System for effectively distributing those materials.
The Full-Stack Developer is responsible for implementing features and educating others in your area of expertise while continuing to grow your own skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support your team in delivering well-written, well-tested code to complete new features or address issues in the product
- Collaborate with your team and your peers on the design, implementation, testing, and review of new features and fixes
- Review code and contribute feedback to improve the quality, readability, and testability of the code base within your team and area of expertise
- Strive to understand all aspects of RedShelf’s business to create a better product
- Support paying down technical debt and use development approaches that minimize the growth of new technical debt
- Mentor junior engineers
- Drive good engineering practices
- Support the vision and long-term strategy in your domain of expertise
- Spread learning in your area of expertise
- Ensure that customer-facing UX is accessible for all supported devices and user accessibility needs (WCAG 2.0, Section 508, ADA, etc.)
- Use the Agile Scrum process to experiment and improve on software development practices on the team
- 2+ years of software development experience
- 1+ years of experience maintaining the front-end and back-end of a complex, product-focused codebase
- Experience publishing and consuming APIs
- Proven track record of building successful full-stack applications, products or platforms
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Experience with Python and frameworks like Django is a plus
- Experience building ADA-compliant or WCAG 2.0-compliant interfaces
- Knowledge and appreciation of the advances in higher educational software, course materials, and digital publishing is a plus
- Background and/or experience in educational technology and/or publishing
- Comfort and/or experience in a startup environment
- Ideal candidate is self-sufficient and highly motivated, self-directed and possess high energy and a passion for RedShelf
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages, including company stock options.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.