Reverb is a leading online marketplace for buying and selling new, used, and vintage musical instruments. Since launching in 2013, Reverb has grown into a vibrant community of buyers and sellers all over the world. By focusing on inspiring content, price transparency, musician-focused eCommerce tools, a music-savvy customer service team, and more, Reverb has built an online destination where the global music community can connect over the perfect piece of music gear. In 2019 Reverb was acquired by Etsy. With the added support of one of the largest online marketplaces, we are on a path to becoming the go-to site for musicians everywhere.
Our core belief is that music makes the world a better place. Through Reverb Gives, a portion of every sale provides students, teachers, and leaders of music programs across the world with instruments they need. During this very challenging time, we’re also doing our part to support small and boutique gear makers, local music shops around the world, and musicians who are losing income due to COVID-19.
Here are the qualities we look for in our potential hires:
Product ownership – we are not just software engineers and designers. At Reverb, you’ll be expected to track the performance of features you release, talk to stakeholders, fix bugs, and understand your impact on the business.
Self-motivation - taking the initiative to get things done by finding ways around potential roadblocks and proactively working with other team members to find right-sized solutions.
Leadership - you have a framework of how you want to quickly and safely ship software, are ready to implement that vision, and can instill that vision in others.
About the Role
The Marketing Technology team is looking for a Full Stack Engineer to help continue to build out solutions to help drive users to the site, better engage with new and existing customers, and support a growing set of tools utilized by our internal Marketing team. The team iterates quickly, partnering with the Marketing team to build out features that best drive revenue to the site. As part of a relatively new team, you will be instrumental in helping define the objectives and practices of the team.
Some key aspects of the role
The Marketing Technology Team iterates on the core Reverb Rails app while building and maintaining public-facing and internal APIs using gRPC, Protobufs, and GraphQL. We build out new features across our UIs, connecting to APIs and GraphQL endpoints using modern tools including React, Typescript, and Webpack. We take a pragmatic approach to product development through understanding and making well-reasoned technical decisions and tradeoffs. We participate in pairing sessions, code reviews, and research things independently, and elevate our direct team members and other developers through continuous mentorship. We're more than engineers; we're product owners who want to interact with customers, break down large problems, and follow up on the performance of our features to know how they impact customers directly.
What we need in this role to ensure success
- 4+ years of professional experience with web technologies and applicable RDBMSes (we use React, Ruby on Rails, and Postgres).
- Comfort in your chosen languages and frameworks, and curiosity about and ability to ramp up on new technologies quickly when called for.
- Experience with unit testing (whether TDD, BDD, or spike it first and test it later) and a desire to push everyone to do better.
- Great communication skills and the desire to collaborate across departments and with customers.
- Bonus: Experience working with eCommerce or customer engagement platforms.
About our compensation and benefits
Reverb offers compensation packages that include base, bonus, and equity in the form of Etsy restricted stock units. Some of our key benefits include:
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents (you read it right: no premiums!)
- Life, AD&D, and supplemental long-and short-term disability insurance
- A matching 401(k)
- A flexible take it as you need it PTO policy
- 12 weeks of gender-neutral parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child
- Up to $7,500 reimbursement of adoption-related expenses
- Ways to give back to you community through a charitable contribution match and volunteer time off
- Bi-monthly lunches
- A MacBook, monitor, keyboard, mouse of your choice and standing desk
At Reverb, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Reverb is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
This is a local position in Chicago, please no remote workers or recruiters.
We know that the imposter syndrome and confidence gap are real. Please do not hesitate to apply!