Full Stack Engineer - New Startup, PEAK6 Entity (Chicago)
We are looking for a technical, entrepreneurial-minded Full Stack Engineer to help us create solutions that modernize the traditional financial services industry. You will define, develop, deploy and maintain a number of real-time event driven back end services that will be the foundation of the new platform. This exciting new platform will simplify, automate and facilitate access to financial markets alongside experienced technologists and industry SMEs.
The role is for someone who is passionate about applying modern technology to replace monolithic and hard-to-access incumbent systems. Along the way, you learn about the problem space and re-imagine the solution. This person will work on a mix of front-end, client-facing features and integration back-end services using multiple languages and frameworks.
This is an opportunity to join a fast-paced team with the urgency of a startup and expertise of an established organization. We are a flat organization which will afford you the ability to gain access to personnel and resources necessary to execute on your vision. PEAK6 is a privately-held organization focused on delivering long-term value rather than short-term gains. This translates to a focus on bringing solutions for an industry and not bespoke products. Due to the space we innovate in, your products will process billions of transactions per day, in real-time, and power both startup and established industry participants.
You will report to the Head of Engineering but work closely with everyone across the organization.
This role can be based out of Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, or Portland
What you’ll do all day:
- Define, develop, deploy and maintain a number of real-time/event driven back end services that are the foundation of the new PEAK6 platform.
- Work on a mix of front-end, client-facing features and integration back-end services using multiple languages and frameworks to connect users and other systems to the PEAK6 platform
- Demonstrate the ability to think appropriately through solutions for different layers of the enterprise
- Develop and maintain a clean and consistent API for both internal applications and external client applications
- Write self-documenting and well-tested code with an emphasis on sustainable development practices
- Work as a part of small, productive development team that puts an emphasis on code quality, peer reviews and strong engineering practices
What you need to succeed
A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other demanding engineering degree (or equivalent work experience)
- At least three years of professional experience working as a part of a multi-person development team that utilizes automated testing, CI pipelines and peer reviews
- One or more years of mid to senior experience is a necessity as you will be expected to review an existing codebase and contribute by following established practices and patterns without day to day supervision
- Strong proficiency and in-depth understanding of at least one of our core languages and frameworks
- Ability to learn new and unfamiliar technologies quickly, as required
- Strong understanding of RESTful API conventions and distributed architecture
- Experience in building real-time/event driven, multi-tenet applications a big plus
- Server-side: Go, Java, SQL
- Infrastructure: Experience with a configuration-management toolchain like Chef, Salt, Puppet or Ansible is a plus