You aren’t interested in maintaining things, but scaling and building. Seeing your team’s work being used by hundreds of thousands of people on a daily basis makes you tick. Your team pushes code and bam, people are instantly using it. Sometimes it sucks. Many times it’s awesome. All the time it’s motivating and thrilling.
- View engineering as equal parts art and science. There is such a thing as beautiful code. And the creative juices you get to flex through technical challenges you find therapeutic.
- Are okay with sucking at things - you gotta learn it somehow and in the beginning you might suck.
- Have some war stories about really screwing up a rollout or feature. It created some scars and calluses you won’t soon forget.
- Know that data can tell a good portion of the story and provide the foundation, but engaging with humans and qualitative insights paints the full picture.
- Ask the right questions and, when posed with a problem, you peel away the layers to reveal the core issue and don’t address just the symptoms. You lean on your instincts and good judgment.
THE OPPORTUNITY & THE IMPACT
We are Jiobit; a hardware-enabled software company that helps families of all shapes and sizes move forward with ease. We make a suite of location monitoring devices and apps. Our flagship consumer product is the smallest, longest-lasting, most secure location tracker available.
You are a doer; a scrappy, crafty, trouble-shooter. You are a data-hungry, pattern-finding, action-taking learner. This is someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, and who wants to both enable (and mentor) those around them to create successes and grow but is also excited to make an impact with their own hands.
We are looking for someone to join us as a Senior Full-Stack Software Developer. You will report to the Director of Software Engineering. At the end of the day, this person will play a key role in helping scale Jiobit’s business through technology and engineering - helping to build award winning, and customer-loving, products.
This role will ultimately be responsible for the reliability, scalability, and functionality for software across various aspects of the product experience. Primarily, you’ll be tasked with the development and support of user-facing web applications, internal web applications and as well as backend infrastructure to support these web applications. Additionally, you will be able to design, document and implement backend features of our core product from scratch to production-ready state.
On a daily basis, you will be working alongside a product manager, UI/UX, cloud, mobile, and firmware engineers to bring the product experience together.
In particular, the ideal candidate will be:
- Data Hungry - You are highly analytical and you love data. Others will tell us you’re highly capable of immersing yourself in data and delivering actionable recommendations.
- Curious - doesn't need expertise in every aspect of our tech stack, but wants to learn more and finds it exciting. You don’t wait for permission to kick down the door and relentlessly hunt down problems to solve
- Process minded / execution driven - can keep the team on task and on schedule. Bring some order to structured chaos. You know that done is better than perfect.
- Innovation engine - brings new, challenging ideas to the team both within ENG and outside ENG
- Mentor - coaches others and leads by example
- Product minded - demonstrates a passion for the end to end consumer experience and not just thinking about engineering on a project basis
- Systems thinking - understands (or aptitude do understand) the entire software stack as well the impact of data
MORE ABOUT US
Jiobit is the first of its kind patented location sharing platform, enabling the longest lasting and smallest real-time location products (indoor or out) with best-in-class security.
Featuring a host of encryption and security technologies, Jiobit is trusted by thousands of pet owners and families, as well as enterprise customers, with usage in every populated continent in the world.
- Our mission is to provide the right information at the right time to the right people.
- We believe that caregivers should have a single source of helpful information to guide growth and reduce stress
- We envision a world where families move forward with ease using a single source of helpful information
- Everything we do and everyone who works here is centered around this mission
- Basically, this is the moment you opt-out if you’re not into it
- We provide competitive compensation, generous stock options, ample benefits, and clear and concise pathways to personal and professional growth within the organization
Jiobit has won an Editor's Choice Award with PCMag and has been featured on CNBC, Buzzfeed, Techcrunch, and USA Today to name a few. Jiobit has offices in Chicago and Silicon Valley. With a strategic investment from Netgear, Inc., along with Chicago-based Venture Capital firm, MATH Venture Partners, we are positioning the business for rapid growth.
WHAT YOU’LL GET
- Unlimited time off to juggle work/life balance with minimum/mandatory 3 weeks of PTO
- Flexible work hours and location (optional work from office, expected work from home through most, if not all, of 2020)
- Medical, dental, vision insurance (including 50% contribution for dependents)
- Paid holidays
- Short-term / Long-term Disability offered
- Competitive Stock Option & Equity Packages
- Cash compensation between $90,000 and $130,000 (location dependent) for new team members, with performance and milestone driven adjustments
MORE ABOUT YOU
- Advanced knowledge of Google Cloud Platform and/or Amazon Web Services (experience with both preferred).
- Experience with Java and backend frameworks (Spring Boot, Spring).
- Hand-on experience of unit-tests and integration tests implementation, understanding the concept of code mocking.
- Good understanding of scalable web application design patterns and architecture principles.
- Infrastructure / DevOps experience (continuous integration setup, deploying and running applications in a test and production environment etc.)
- Solid understanding of the Agile development practices and the software development lifecycle.
- Experience leading/mentoring other software engineers and providing technical guidance
- Effective communication and collaboration across teams
- Authorized to work in the US (Citizen or Permanent Resident), no H1-B sponsorships.
OUR STACK (FOR REFERENCE)
- Cloud - AWS (IoT, Lambda, EC2, S3, SQS), Google Cloud Platform (AppEngine, Compute Engine, Pub/Sub), Java, Python, Go, SpringBoot
- Cloud Monitoring Tools (GCP Stackdriver, AWS CloudWatch)
- Data Store - Fully Encrypted NoSQL Datastores (GCP Datastore, AWS DynamoDB)
- Mobile Applications - Android (Kotlin) and iOS (Swift/Objective-C)
- Web Apps - React, PHP, JS/jQuery, Node.js, HTML
- Tools & APIs - Github, Jenkins, Jira, Firebase, Google Analytics, Amplitude, Intercom, Google Geolocation
- Embedded C (device level firmware)