Morningstar, Inc., a leading global provider of independent investment research, is looking for an innovative and visionary leader to serve as the Head of Technology for Morningstar’s Direct Business.
The Direct business is responsible for the creation of world class Data and Analytics Software used by our clients to drive their success. Direct is Morningstar’s flagship software used throughout the financial services industry. The Direct technology team consists of hundreds of technologists distributed across our global development centers. Our team is comprised of talented software engineers, test automation engineers, site reliability engineers, and architects who help make technology one of Morningstar’s core strengths. Our technologists care deeply about creating compelling user experiences, represent a range of skills and knowledge and share the passion of technology as a craft. From agile software development to desktop and web applications delivered from our public and private cloud, we build scalable, elegant solutions that help investors reach their financial goals.
The position reports directly to Head of Direct. The successful candidate will take responsibility for the overall planning, execution, and success of technical projects, operating with scale, speed, and quality. The candidate will work closely with product leaders on business strategic planning, aligning your technology vision and strategy with product and business direction, customer service strategy, growth strategies, and talent strategies, and convert strategic plans into actionable programs and projects. The candidate is expected to provide visionary technology leadership, keep abreast new developments in all areas of technology, and demonstrate business acumen when assessing the impact of new technologies to our Direct business. The successful candidate will also be responsible for identifying, attracting, and retaining talent for both the business and Morningstar, and promote an overall culture of technology excellence and innovation. This position is located in our Chicago office.
- Exceptional leadership skills with 10+ years of experience in tech management
- Pragmatist who is bold, willing to think big, and encourage teams to act decisively.
- Deep experience with software technology
- Strong background in agile software development, continuous delivery, and test automation
- Translate a passion for technology and our business into clear, persuasive arguments, both written and spoken.
- Comfortable working with a disparate and diverse technology team across multiple locations.
- Experience with diverse web application architectures.
- Solid understanding of managing large data sets. Morningstar`s business is data-driven
- A belief in embracing both open-source and commercial tools and frameworks. Have proven experience in making tradeoffs between competing alternatives.
- Experience working closely with product managers, design, sales, and marketing on the delivery of commercial software
- FinTech experience a plus but not required
- Bachelor`s degree in the sciences, engineering, or computer science.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity