Lead Application Developer, Custom Solutions at Jellyvision
Jellyvision is hiring a Lead Application Developer
Who we are
We at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX, a platform that saves employees and their employers money by making tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits—less confusing and more enjoyable. The success of ALEX has exceeded our wildest work-related dreams, which is why we need an experienced Lead Application Developer to help us continue on our journey.
How you’ll help
Jellyvision supports many large customers (employers and partners) with our flagship platform, ALEX. These customers are the lifeblood of our company, representing billions of dollars in premium and benefits spending and millions of employees trying to navigate those benefits. These customers have many complex problems to solve and often look to Jellyvision to help them explain complex things simply and helpfully so that employees can make better decisions. However, sometimes these problems fall outside our SaaS offerings and don’t represent solutions we can or want to provide at scale. It’s important to us to continue to be helpful when our customers need us by creating custom solutions that are exciting, valuable, and cost effective (for both the customer and Jellyvision).
As a Lead Application Developer, you'll provide technical leadership for a newly emerging team, and help solve these tough problems our customers are asking for our help solving. You’ll use your experience to ensure the team is designing and building straightforward, maintainable solutions to unique customer problems.
What you’ll do
As the Lead Application Developer for our brand new Custom Solutions team, you will:
- Evaluate build vs. buy decisions and ensure we only build custom solutions when necessary
- Collaborate with our Project Manager, Director of Custom Solutions, and customers to define high level system requirements
- Implement and/or build reporting tools for customers and internal stakeholders
- Design clean, straightforward solutions to problems
- Think tactically as well as strategically, respecting what came before you while accounting for the future
- Write maintainable, reliable, and performant code
- Coach and mentor less experienced team members
- Give and receive constructive code review feedback
- Foster an inclusive team environment
- Collaborate with Jellyvision's non-tech teams (ex. designers, writers, producers)
Experience & skills you’ll need
We're looking for a Lead Application Developer with 5+ years of relevant experience, strong software design chops, and who is excited by unique and complex challenges. They should also have experience with the following:
- An understanding of how to build and maintain web applications with a backend framework like Ruby on Rails, as well as a frontend framework like React
- Committed to testing their code as a part of writing it
- A passion for code quality and strong problem solver
- An excellent giver and receiver of constructive code review feedback
- Horrified at the thought of working without Source Control
- Experienced with a relational database (ORMs are great, experience writing raw SQL is even better)
- Experienced developing software with Git (familiarity with git-flow would be another bonus)
- AWS, Docker, and DevOps skills (not required, but definitely a plus)
- Some familiarity with reporting or bi tools (Tableau, Looker, Shiny, Dash, etc.)
- Communicates Effectively
- Manages Ambiguity
- Instills Trust
- Decision Quality
- Optimizes Work Processes
Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing people to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!