Lead Software Engineer at Morningstar (Chicago, IL)
Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
Our Product Group:
Independent Advisor Software (IAS) group offers innovative and differentiated products and services for the Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) market. Our all-in-one portfolio accounting and practice management platform, Morningstar Office supports RIA’s day-to-day activities with our billing, performance reporting, back-office services, rebalancing, and account aggregation capabilities, powered by Morningstar’s independent data and research.
We are seeking a Lead Software Engineer with full-stack experience. This position will be part of an engineering team focused on updating Morningstar’s web-based product suites. You will have product ownership and responsibility for ensuring process and quality adherence through peer reviews, code reviews, test coverage and best practices. You will act as the software guardian, owning non-functional requirements, architectural direction, and the quality of the code while addressing technical debt. Every day, you’ll work with team members across disciplines developing products for investors. You’ll interact daily with our product managers to understand our domain and create technical solutions that push us forward. We want to work with other engineers who bring knowledge and excitement about our opportunities. This position is based in our Chicago office.
• Build well designed, well-engineered, stable, scalable products across a variety of markets
• Architect and develop highly scalable and secure web applications.
• Create web experiences that are consistent across all browsers and operating systems
• Champion NFRs such as accessibility, performance, privacy and security when building solutions
• Analyze and remediate production issues, and help build operational readiness into the systems architecture.
• Take ownership of the success of the team with a "gets things done" attitude; the ability to understand and leverage new technologies.
• Be passionate about quality, process, programming, and investing in general, seeing opportunities for improvement, seizing them, and then sharing your findings with others.
• Enforce good Agile practices.
• Help to shape product vision.
• A bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, or other related field.
• 3-5 years' experience with SPA client-side frameworks such as Vue.js or React.js.
• 3-5 years' experience with server-side technologies such as Node.JS, Java, or C#.
• 3+ years’ experience with build process management tools like Grunt, or Gulp, or Webpack.
• 3+ years’ Experience with CSS pre-processors (SASS, LESS) and post processing.
• Proven knowledge of enterprise software concerns such as accessibility, security, scalability and privacy.
• Familiarity with design patterns like MVC and MVVM required.
• Experience working in Scrum-based methodologies is a plus.
• Highly motivated individual with the potential and desire to learn new technologies and take on an increasing level of responsibility within the technology team.
• Ability to work independently, communicates effectively, and produces superior results.
• Be organized and able to remain productive even when you have multiple deliverables
Nice to have
• Experience with AWS services.
• Financial software experience is plus