About the Role
A lead/senior level software engineer in the Core Analytics Platform (CAP) team. The team is part of a larger Data Lake and Analytics Platform team (DnA team) and is building the core platform to store the data used in and derived from our research as well as the tools used by the data scientists to do research and productionize their predictive models and compute jobs. This team is very much at the heart of Morningstar’s mission of empowering investors through research, data, and technology.
Mostly hands on individual contributor role, lead technical discussions and guide technical decision making. You will be working in a cross-functional team, collaborating with teammates in Toronto, Chicago, New York, and Mumbai. As part of the team, you will also work closely with the quantitative analysts (aka data scientists) and help them by building a platform to allow them to collaboratively build then seamlessly deploy and operationalize their models. You will be dealing with all aspects of product development: design of user experience, system architecture, model development, productionizing models, API/library/CLI development, data visualization tools, code reviews, automated testing, automated infrastructure, systems monitoring, and support.
- Great at communicating technical topics, and has the knowledge and experience to lead technical discussions within a couple of months.
- Has the experience to ramp up quickly on the stack we're working in (AWS, Python, Kubernetes, Terraform)
- Friendly and enjoys working in a collaborative team with excellent spoken and written communication skills. Humble, honest, and to the point.
- Hard working, ambitious, inquisitive, problem solver.
- Deep experience with at least one programming language. If this deep knowledge is in Python, that is a plus, but deep experience in any language (e.g. Java, C#) will do.
- Writing understandable maintainable code.
- Knowledge of networking fundamentals (TCP/IP, application protocols, security)
- Experience with Linux.