OppFi is a leading financial technology platform that powers banks to help the everyday consumer gain access to credit. Through our unwavering commitment to customer service, OppFi helps consumers who are turned away by traditional providers build a better financial path. OppFi is an Inc. 5000 company for five straight years, a Deloitte's Technology Fast 500™, and the seventh fastest-growing Chicagoland company by Crain's Chicago Business. The company was also named on Forbes America 2021 list of America's Best Startup Employers and Built In's 2021 Best Places to Work in Chicago. We welcome individuals to join us in facilitating financial inclusion and credit access for everyday consumers to live the life they deserve.
OppFi is a team of caring, innovative, and inclusive individuals with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. Our employees approach every new challenge with an unparalleled ability to see what could be rather than settle for what is. We want people to be excited to come to work every day and know you are a part of making a difference. Our company values guide us and create an open and collaborative culture where we hold the door, say what we see, do what we say, and dare to win together!
What you get to do:
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will foster the improvement of a software development and operations process, while creating a psychologically safe, productive team culture. You can expect to work with product management and other team members to balance and feature new development while sustaining engineering and operational work. Reporting to the Senior Director, Engineering, you will also:
- Clear cross-team obstacles to delivery
- Support the career development of team members
- Create the conditions for an engaged and motivated team culture
- Manage and create projects and schedules to timelines, set goals
- Conduct periodic performance reviews, coach team members, and help resolve issues and conflicts
- Monitor teams' performance and look for ways to improve
- Provide frequent progress updates to seniors and other teams
- Manage and recommend procurements for team enablement (i.e., equipment, servers, etc.)
- Stay informed about general security techniques and notions
- Use standard software/hardware engineering project management software and frameworks to direct and focus team efforts
- Ensure quality controls are part of the development lifecycle, monitor and look for quality improvements
- Support preparation and management of the Technology department's budget
- Design strategies for future development projects based on our overall goals and resources
- Encourage a growth plan with engineers and guide them along it
- Coordinate with external partners for new integrations and tools
- Review and update policies relevant to internal systems and equipment
- Ensuring sound, scalable technical decisions are being made by the team that balances the short-term needs of the business with the long-term stability of the tech stack & services
- 8+ years of experience in software engineering with at least four years of management experience; must be comfortable with hands-on tasks
- Understanding of microservice architecture/design
- Experience with cloud providers such as AWS or Google Cloud
- Knowledge of popular agile software development methods
- Full- Stack knowledge,
- Mentor, and building career paths experience
- Experience overseeing apprenticeship and intern programs, and experience improving diversity and inclusion on teams and the software organization as a whole
Reports to: Senior Director, Engineering
Job Level: Manager
The minimum salary for this role is $147,000. The total compensation package includes eligibility for performance-based bonuses as well as a 1-time equity grant based on level.
The actual offer, reflecting the total compensation package and benefits, will be at the company’s sole discretion, and determined by a myriad of factors including, but not limited to, years of experience, depth of experience, and other relevant business considerations.
Define your career at OppFi
OppFi is committed to providing an exceptional employee experience from Day 1. Key new hire programs include Day 1 Orientation, training with your manager and team, lunches with our CEO and President, and an educational summit featuring presentations by our senior leaders. Throughout and beyond your first-year journey, you'll have access to a variety of events focused on culture, inclusion, connection, and education. We want you to feel welcomed, informed, and valued for who you are and what you bring to our company.
- Day 1 - Month 3: Define Your Mission
You’ll understand our company mission, values, and vision, and how your position at OppFi plays a part in that. With the help of your manager, you’ll set mission-aligned goals to make an impact in your role.
- Months 3 - 6: Define Your Belonging
You’ll understand OppFi’s culture and know how to engage with and influence that culture.
- Months 6 - 12: Define Your Journey
You’ll feel confident in your ability to execute in your role and empowered to take next steps in developing your career at OppFi.
Compensation and Benefits
OppFi offers a flexible remote environment, 401(k) matching program, and flexible paid vacation. Other benefits include medical benefits, dental and vision coverage, and tuition reimbursement. To support your wellness & growth, we provide monthly meditation and yoga classes and access to all LinkedIn Learning courses. We also offer Fringe, which is a lifestyle benefits platform that lets you decide how you want to spend your rewards from dozens of vendors like Uber, Doordash and Urban Sitter. Dress code is casual.
Our goal as a company is to build an equitable workplace that actively works to dismantle systems of oppression in our processes, procedures, and interactions. We aim to help our employees thrive where they work and beyond. Check out our Culture page here.
OppFi is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, OppFi will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact our People team at [email protected].