We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. Over 20 years ago, we were among the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading and esports. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms and we continue to evolve.
As a Software Engineering Manager at PEAK6 Capital Management, you’ll have a big impact on the firm. You’ll work within our proprietary trading entity and have genuine opportunities to partner with PEAK6’s Product Managers and impact our overall engineering strategy. This is a role for someone who flourishes in a fast-paced environment, has a strong technical background, and has a customer/product mindset first.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Working hand in hand with Product Managers to help write User Stories and fuel discovery for the team
- Setting team performance metrics and holding members accountable to those metrics while making adjustments as necessary.
- Forecasting team’s staffing needs against overall headcount plan and when necessary making an argument to hire additional headcount
- Encouraging forward leaning technology investigations (discovery/spikes)
- Collaborating with tech leads and architect to define technical standards and direction
- Helping to remove bottlenecks and connecting team members across teams
- Primary driver of career development of team members including mentoring junior engineers and potentially code pairing
- Supporting team’s current delivery of working software, while balancing time by also collaborating with product managers to prepare the backlog of upcoming projects
You’ll gain loads of experience in this role but before you do, you should have:
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Strong technical credentials, with at least 3-5 years’ experience managing software development teams, ideally with some hands-on architectural or distributed systems experience
- Technical hands-on coding background, preferably with Java, Python, or GoLang
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences, including executives and non-technical leaders
- Understanding of agile practices and ability to enforce them in variable team size settings
- Familiarity with test-driven development and best practices
- Highly self-motivated with strong analytical problem-solving skills
- Curiosity and eagerness to learn and improve on existing approaches
Does our Engineering DNA Match yours?
- We collaborate in small, agile teams to learn and develop innovative technology
- We like to develop impactful features fast so we can share directly with our end-users and iterate quickly
- We’re focused on well-defined software delivery and continuous learning
- People are everything and our support for each other is abundant
- Through open source technology, we continue to evolve our tech stacks while looking for ways to contribute back to the community
- Whether you’re new to our tech stack or an expert, we encourage each team member to experiment with new technologies and take ownership of projects.
- We love to have fun and dedicate time to exploring new technologies and ideas through Tech Days and Hackathons.
*Due to the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, PEAK6 has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our business remotely. This is inclusive of interviewing, onboarding and each role day-to-day. Please consider that our roles will not be remote long-term and will return to an office setting once we're safe to do so following the guidance of local health authorities and the CDC.