Manager of Software Engineering at Morningstar
At Morningstar, helping investors is what brings us together and drives our work. We are looking for a manager of software engineering to join our Data Product group who specializes in Java and the JVM platform to join our team, grow with us, introduce us to new ideas and develop products that empower our users. You will have product ownership and responsibility for ensuring process and quality adherence through peer reviews, code reviews, test coverage and best practices. You will act as the software guardian, owning non-functional requirements, architectural direction, and the quality of the code while addressing technical debt. Every day, you’ll work with team members across disciplines developing products for investors. You’ll interact daily with our product managers to understand our domain and create technical solutions that push us forward. We want to work with other engineers who bring knowledge and excitement about our opportunities. This position is based in our Chicago office.
- Act as the software guardian. Own non-functional requirements, architectural direction, quality of the code and addressing technical debt.
- Manage a team of 4-6 Software Engineers, QA Engineers and scrum master(s) to ensure high productivity and high-quality product development.
- Ability to lead offshore software engineers.
- Collaborate with product management, operations, and other global teams to track and implement new functional requests.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, or equivalent experience is required.
- 10 years’ experience in progressively senior technology roles
- Over 3 years of experience in leading and managing software teams, using agile.
- Strong technical knowledge of Java, Spring Boot, and SQL Databases with experience using AWS technologies or other cloud technologies.
- Good understanding of Application Architectures, Design Patterns and best practices for development.
- Motivated to deliver sustainable, scalable, and high-quality solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build and foster relationships.
- Self-directed and detail-oriented.
- Able to thrive in a rapidly-changing, global environment.