Packaging Engineer at Fast Radius
| Chicago | Remote
Sorry, this job was removed at 6:51 a.m. (CST) on Wednesday, October 13, 2021
We believe manufacturing is important not only for what it makes but for what it makes possible for the world. Our first-of-its-kind Cloud Manufacturing Platform™ represents a new, more sustainable infrastructure to design, make, and move physical goods in the digital age. Working with companies across a variety of industries – from growing startups to Fortune 500 companies – Fast Radius helps customers with all stages of the manufacturing process from new product development to ongoing part production. We have recently announced our intent to become a publicly-listed company as the next step in scaling our vision for the future of design, manufacturing, and logistics.
What we are looking for:
Fast Radius is hiring a passionate and experienced Packaging Engineer to join our Logistics team. Reporting to our Logistics Manager, you'll be responsible for leading the development of custom packaging for our strategic customers. This is a performance-oriented and data-driven role that requires attention to detail and an ability develop comprehensive packaging strategies, all while collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams including operations, customer success, and our logistics vendors and customers.
About the Role:
- Create packaging plans for our global manufacturing partners
- Develop engineering specifications and documentation in line with engineering protocols and regulations
- Ensure that the packaging specifications are compliant with company and ISO regulations
- Identify best methods and practices to ensure that products arrive at the destination with full product integrity
- Provide Dimensional (DIM) Weight Calculations and guidance to achieve the most cost-effective shipping options for our customers
- Develop freight shipping strategy for ocean containers and palletized shipments.
- Support coordination with Domestic and International shipping and delivery services
- Review our customer packaging complaints and identify root causes and mitigation plans for packaging issues
- Provide technical support and work closely with our Fulfillment & Customer Application Engineering Team to ensure we meet customer requirements
- Open collaboration with all stakeholders that includes internal and external customers
- Help negotiate packaging spend with suppliers (MSF, Weights, Bale, and other metrics)
- Bachelor’s degree required, ideally in packaging or manufacturing engineering
- Minimum 2 years related experience (Packaging industry experience is a plus)
- High aptitude of core packaging engineering technology, packaging testing & equipment, and industry standards. (ASTM, ISO)
- Diverse knowledge of packaging industry (corrugates, film, crates, palletization, polybags, labels, etc.)
- Practice and promote a very collaborative and team-based service approach while demonstrating exceptional individual contributions
- Must have experience in designing cartons, partitions / cell dividers, and other general packaging.
- Possess a pragmatic, hands on approach with a bias for action
- Able to effectively present information and sell ideas to key decision makers
- Strong working knowledge of ERP Systems and logistics portals
- Advanced use Word, Excel (formula / Pivot Tables), PowerPoint, Smartsheets
- Six Sigma and LEAN experience a plus, but not a prerequisite
- Up to 10% global travel (Open and able to travel to China, other parts of Asia, Europe)
- Ability to use CAD software (TOPS, CAPE, ArtiosCAD, Solidworks, etc.)
- Effective overall communication skills (verbal & written)
- Familiarity with statistical methods – lot sizing, time studies, control plans, and DFMEA
Every day you can expect to work in an inclusive environment that makes excellence possible, where great work and ideas matter more than seniority. We believe in experimenting fearlessly and learning from our failures—quickly. Our leaders have grown successful companies before, and they understand that businesses thrive when capable people have the freedom to solve problems without constraints.
We want you to come to work happy, healthy, and balanced so you can expect excellent benefits:
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- Comprehensive health care including dental and vision
- Generous vacation policy as well as a 401K plan
Fast Radius is proud to be an equal opportunity employer because diverse perspectives make for better products, better processes, and a better company. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, Veteran status, or other protected status.
Read Full Job Description