About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, incredibles and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates rapidly growing national retail cannabis stores called Rise™ and Essence. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 13 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 95 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 1,200 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
As our new Packaging Engineer, you will be responsible for turning creative GTI packaging ideas into reality. Working collaboratively with GTI’s Marketing and R&D teams, you will interpret stakeholder vision around GTI’s product packaging and turn it into actionable, highly efficient processes. The ideal candidate for us is an expert at material, equipment, and vendor selection, and is experienced at scoping, overseeing and implementing packaging production process in an automated manufacturing environment. If you are a problem-solving, agile team player with no ego, get stuff done with excellence human, we want to connect!
This role may be based either in our Chicago headquarters, or in one of our production facilities. Significant travel (50%) is required.
- Work cross-functionally to translate ideas and packaging specifications from marketing and research and development into scalable and efficient packaging processes
- Develop roadmap for manufacturing innovative product packaging including selecting packaging materials, designing and implementing package testing, and design execution
- Collaborate with Process Engineer and Operational Technology Engineer to determine automated manufacturing processes for new GTI product packaging
- Develop and enforce system standards, and ensure compliance to GTI packaging quality standards and product specifications
- Key decision-maker on materials of construction, unitization, shipping, packaging processing, and equipment and supplier selection
- Supervise the installation, commissioning, and startup of equipment
- Identify, negotiate, and contract with external packaging vendors and suppliers
- Identify cost-effective options while maintaining a high standard of quality
- Drive continuous improvement to optimize packaging quality and packaging line performance
- Travel to GTI manufacturing and processing locations to scope and execute packaging processes
- Other duties as assigned
- 3+ years’ experience in Packaging Engineering, and a Bachelor’s degree in engineering on a similar field
- Experience driving efficiency and continuous improvement in an automated manufacturing environment
- CPG manufacturing/packaging experience is preferred
- Able to travel (50%)
- Strong verbal / written communication, presentation skills
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage large-scale projects from conception to implementation
- Ability to work effectively with little supervision; highly independent / flexible setting priorities
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and shift focus between tasks / projects
- Ability to collaboratively lead / influence stakeholders across organizational functions
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.
Read Full Job Description