Platform Engineer (Chicago or Remote) at Otus
Otus is creating a culture of success while maximizing learning in the K-12 space. We do this by implementing amazing ideas from awesome people and we need more awesomeness on our team. Are you passionate, collaborative, love to geek out on technology, and want to work for a mission-driven company that is shaping the way teachers, students and parents of students learn together? If so, we want to hear from you.
Our diverse team consists of talented designers, developers, coaches, and leaders who share a variety of interests. You'll find musicians, world travelers, beer enthusiasts, nerds, sports fans, and all-around great people who shape our positive culture.
- Otus is a building a next generation Platform for EdTech in order to support our transformative vision for K-12 education across the US.
- The team will focus on building a number of cutting edge Platforms and Services to power the business for the next 5-10 years.
- A core HA platform built on public cloud infrastructure for a microservice architecture (Kubernetes).
- A suite of new microservices and systems written in Node and the JVM (Java, Kotlin, Scala) .
- Create and own the core libraries and frameworks used to build microservices at Otus - a mix of OSS and custom libraries that are selected for speed and ease of use.
- A brand new data and event platform based on high throughput streaming tech (Kafka, Snowflake).
- Operations tooling, metrics and monitoring (Prometheus).
- CI/CD pipelines with Blue/Green and Canary deploys (Codefresh).
- Performance and failure testing (Gatling).
- You should be able to apply skills and knowledge to operational concerns. Be a developer, not a systems administrator
- Work across the organization to build out systems that can scale to meet 1000s of requests in less than 1 second in smart and cost-effective ways
- Serve as a subject matter expert for 1 or more of our internal systems or services
- Lead cross-functional initiatives and mentor and guide our engineering staff in the development of new systems and introduction of new technology
- Breadth - Substantial experience as an Engineer across multiple environments on complex distributed polyglot systems using Java, Scala, Kotlin, Clojure, Go and/or C++ (5+ years)
- At least 1 project that demonstrates prowess in designing, implementing, and operating large scale, high throughput, low latency distributed systems
- At least 1 project that encompasses defining and designing reliable, scalable, distributed systems running on AWS
- Depth - You can go up and down the stack from deep in the infrastructure up to the data, application, and client layers
- Speed - Experience with small teams that move fast -- all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction
- Ownership and accountability - You own the things that you build
- Drive - When you see a need, you fill a need. You can step in where you see a need and push us all forward
Nice to Haves
- Have built 2 platforms using at least 1 big data technology (Relational and/or Non-relational)
- Demonstrated experience building solutions around CI, release management, deployment, and monitoring (2 years+)
- 1 project building Authorization and Authentication backing microservices
- Open source contributions to a few major projects
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive salary and professional development spending (2K annually)
- 20 PTO days a year, plus a day off for your birthday (or a loved one’s), an interest day (to do something you love), and paid holidays
- Up to 12 weeks of parental leave and great work/life balance
- Flexible hours and work from home policy so you can be at your most productive
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life Insurance and disability benefits
- 401K with an employer match (up to 4%)
Otus is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity of every kind. You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Unfortunately, the company is unable to support sponsorships at this time.