Echo Global Logistics is a leading provider of technology-enabled solutions and supply chain management. We utilize technology to simplify transportation management for our clients and carriers by handling the critical tasks on their behalf so they can focus on what they do best. From coast to coast, dock to dock, and across all major transportation modes, Echo connects businesses that ship their product with carriers who transport those goods quickly, securely, and cost-effectively.
Echo Global Logistics has recently been ranked in Crain's Business as a Top 25 Tech Employer in Chicago along with other recognitions as the top 3PL provider. We are looking for incredible people to join our team and help carry out our mission of providing our clients with best in class service and technology!
Reporting to the Sr. Manager Systems Engineering, this position would provide senior level engineering support and would primarily collaborate with cross functional teams that have workloads in the cloud. The Sr. Cloud Engineer is responsible for helping ECHO to realize best practice in the cloud and will provide meaningful & significant contributions to ECHO's initiatives in the following areas: cloud security, design and engineering of hybrid cloud applications, and will act as a Subject Matter Expert for all things cloud. The Sr. Cloud Engineer will look for ways to achieve ECHO's cloud goals leveraging automation and code.
The ideal candidate will have strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills that go beyond basic implementation given the complexity of our environment. Deep experience with open source automation tools like Terraform, Ansible, and cloud native tools like CloudFormation is highly desired. Success in this role requires technical knowledge and experience in managing complex hybrid cloud environments and supporting development efforts and DevOps processes in an engineering and consultative capacity. From a security perspective, a deep and functional understanding of Identity and Access Management and Role Based Access Controls is a foundational skill that's required for this role. Deep understanding of Direct Connect/Transit Gateway, and cloud networking is required.
Cloud Architecture Design and Development (50%)
- Demonstrate knowledge of cloud architecture and implementation features (OS, multi-tenancy, virtualization, orchestration, elastic scalability)
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert to the organization for Echo cloud end-to-end architecture, including AWS, Azure and future providers, networking, provisioning, and management
- Develop & contribute to a library of deployable and documented cloud design patterns, based on the Echo application portfolio, as a basis for deploying services to the cloud
- Demonstrate leadership ability to back decisions with research and the "why," and articulate several options, the pros and cons for each, and a recommendation
- Maintain overall industry knowledge on the latest trends, technology, etc.
- Contribute to DevOps development activities and complex development tasks
- Contributes to and supports the corporate Enterprise cloud strategy, standards, and best practices associated with all aspects of Cloud offerings
- Contributes to and support the organizational adoption of the DevOps methodology and Agile project management
- Define routing policies and procedure to maintain Transit Gateway connections to Echo data centers
- Drive scope definition, requirements analysis, functional and technical design, application build, product configuration, unit testing, and production deployment
- Ensure delivered solutions meet/perform to technical and functional/non-functional requirements
- Provide technical expertise and ownership in the diagnosis and resolution of an issue, including the determination and provision of workaround solution or escalation to service owners
- Ensure delivered solutions are realized in time frame committed; work in conjunction with project sponsors to size and manage scope and risk
- Provide support and technical governance, expertise related to cloud architectures, deployment, and operations
Thought Leadership (20%)
- Provide thought leadership in industry and to fellow team members across the business and technical project dimensions solving complex business requirements
- Demonstrate forward-thinking around where the organization is going and how technology can support these efforts
- Advocate and contribute to defining cloud architecture vision from a strategic perspective, including internal and external platforms, tools, and systems
- Act as the coach and mentor to team members and technical staff on their assigned project tasks.
- Lead the definition and development of cloud reference architecture and management systems
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, systems analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience
- 10 years' experience in the following areas:
o IT platform, storage, networking, and virtualization engineering
o Design & implementation of distributed applications (preferred)
- In-depth, practical expertise with Cloud methodologies (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS), automation, orchestration, trends and industry-leading cloud vendor offerings
- Experience in architecting and implementing cloud-based solutions with robust Business Continuity and Disaster Recover requirements
- Eight plus years practical experience designing, building, and automating solutions utilizing AWS services such as EC2, S3, RDS, KMS, Route 53, Lambda, IAM, Kinesis, ECS and API Gateway
- 10 years' experience working with the following:
o Working with cloud native automation tools such as CloudFormation, and open source tools such as Terraform & Ansible
o Experience in building CI/CD pipeline automation
o Developing ongoing IAM polices & roles that satisfy principles of least privilege
- Experience on AWS Access control and Network security
Work environment/physical demands summary:
This job operates in an office environment and uses a computer, telephone and other office equipment as needed to perform duties. The noise level in the work environment is typical of that of an office with an open seating floor plan. The employee may encounter frequent interruptions throughout the work day. The employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or Vietnam era or other protected veteran.