Principal Site Reliability Engineer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
What You’ll Do It:
- Handle responsibilities for operational stability and performance of one or more critical business services used by Discover customers and employees.
- Verifies stability, interoperability, portability, security, and scalability of system architecture.
- Collaborates with technology teams to select appropriate design solutions and ensures the compatibility of system components.
- Documents design specifications, installation instructions, and other system information.
- Provides advice on project costs, designs, concepts, and changes.
- Communicates with staff and clients to understand specific system requirements.
How You’ll Do It
Operational stability and performance
- Work with other members of their assigned value stream to ensure that in-scope applications/platforms are meeting performance and stability requirements. This includes managing major incidents to mitigation/resolution.
- Perform post-incident reviews of all major incidents and determine action items required to avoid similar issues/minimize downtime for future incidents.
Monitors and metrics:
- Work with Application Development to ensure that assigned applications/platforms have appropriate monitoring and metrics in place to appropriately measure performance and stability.
Identify functional and non-functional improvements:
- Act as the Operations representative in value stream planning and prioritize sessions to ensure that operational needs of assigned applications/platforms are addressed as needed. Hold quarterly operational performance reviews with value stream management.
Release planning and coordination:
- Work with other members of his/her assigned value stream to ensure that the production releases for their in scope applications/platforms are properly planned and coordinated. This includes Holds Change/Release implementation reviews to ensure thorough and appropriate implementation plans.
Review and sign-off/approval of change tickets for the assigned value stream:
- Represent the value stream at Change Advisory Board Meetings.
- Participate in Program Increment Planning Sessions as a liaison for Operations and Infrastructure support.
- Provide information regarding upcoming critical changes to the value stream.
- Ensure that applications/platforms in the value stream are operationally ready for production. This includes Annual Review of all SOPs/knowledge articles.
- Monitor review for any new feature launch or other significant change that may impact monitoring.
- Review SOP/knowledge article for any new feature launch or other significant change that may impact support documentation.
- Train Command Center and Application 1st level Support on new SOPs, knowledge articles, and any other support-related needs.
- Perform monthly capacity analysis of applications/platforms within the value stream. Create and maintain operationally focused ELK dashboards for the value stream.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in business, computer information systems, computer science, MIS, engineering, science, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in information technology, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of experience in Information Technology, or related field
Bonus Points If You Have
- 6+ years of experience in technology, or related field
- ITIL foundations, or related certification
- Golang or similar programming
- REST Services
- CI with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- OpenShift &/or Kubernetes
- Kubernetes Operators
- AWS Cloud & Services, e.g. Lambda
- Agile development
- Strong Linux shell/batch scripting knowledge
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong collaboration skills, responsive to service needs and project demands in a fast-changing environment
#LI-MF1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.