Notice: Due to the current circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, Kin Insurance has shifted to a remote workforce. While we hope to return to the office sometime soon, our priority is to maintain safe and healthy working conditions for our staff. For that reason, we will continue to operate, interview, and hire on a remote basis until further notice.
While this role will start remote, we will require this individual to be based in our Chicago office.
Kin Insurance exists to change home insurance from what it is to what it should be. We do this by applying data science and analytics to make decisions, automation to reduce redundancies and unnecessary costs, and innovative thinking to change the way customers interact with and get value from their home insurance provider. We do this because we wholeheartedly believe that customers deserve better from their insurance.
Currently four years old, Kin began with the notion that technology could improve our industry, so we started by researching the most important part of our business: the customer. After building our platform from the ground up, we launched the Kin Intern Insurance Network, a customer-owned carrier in Florida. By applying our vision for a data-driven, technology-forward insurance company, we are able to offer customers affordable insurance in a straightforward, simplified approach. Today, Kin is continuing to grow in Florida and has recently expanded to California.
While our approach to home insurance makes us a unique business, the people and culture at Kin are what make us special. We are problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and empathizers who care about one another and have a passion for creating positive change. We each bring a diverse array of experience to Kin that fuels a passion for learning and growth that we foster as a company.
So, what’s the role?
The SDET (Software Development Engineer in Test) will be central to our software development and deployment process, primarily responsible for building and architecting our test automation suite and performance testing business requirements, in addition to manual testing. This person will collaborate closely with software development and product management teams, as well as stakeholders to ensure adherence to Kin’s strategic goals while managing risk.
A day in the life could include:
- Write and execute test cases to ensure development outputs meet acceptance criteria, technical specifications, and product goals
- Document software defects in bug tracking system and monitor bug resolutions
- Investigate, test, and debug complex issues
- Participate in code reviews
- Write and maintaining unit tests and automated test suites
- Analyze automation test results and present analysis
- Participate in troubleshooting and triaging of issues with various teams to determine root cause and resolution
- Assist with deployments, verify fixed defects, and perform automated regression and performance testing as required
- Plan and conduct the analysis, inspection, design, test, and/or integration to assure the quality of large and complex projects
I’ve got the skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- 3+ years of software testing experience
- Background in software testing and product knowledge in the design of tests
- Experience with QA techniques, such as black box, white box, and gray box approaches for smoke, regression, functional, user acceptance, and exploratory testing
- 2+ years of software development / automation experience
- Hands-on work experience with Selenium (bonus if experienced with Rspec and Capybara)
- Experience creating XPath queries and functions
- Experience using Git or other source code management tools
- Experience with deployments, CI/CD tools, DVCS, and comfortable with database migrations
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
Being in the insurance industry, we recognize the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. That’s why we provide a variety of options and coverage levels to customize a plan that’s right for you. These are just some of the benefits and perks we provide:
Commuter Benefit Plans
Flex Spending Accounts
Onsite gym membership - after we return to the office
Read Full Job Description