Fueling the technologies that drive our products and support our company’s infrastructure, talented developers, Cloud architects, and IT experts make technology one of Morningstar’s core strengths. Embracing our engineers’ wide range of skills and experiences, we view technology as a craft and share a passion for creating positive user experiences. From Agile methodologies to mobile applications to software as a service (SaaS), we continuously innovate to build scalable, elegant solutions that help investors reach their financial goals.
DevOps engineering plays a critical role in modern software development and engineering. You will be part of a global Release Engineering team within the broader IT Operations organization, managing enterprise software development systems and supporting the users of these systems. In this role, you will have the opportunity not only to utilize your coding skills and automation expertise but also to exercise your “soft” skills by collaborating with diverse development teams around the globe. You will be expected to lead technical projects through completion and proactively identify risks that could jeopardize operations. This position is based in our downtown Chicago office.
• Manage enterprise software development systems like source control, continuous integration, and release orchestration tools. Plan and execute system/infrastructure upgrades in a cloud environment.
• Drive execution of technical projects aimed to enhance the systems, processes, and service offerings of the IT Operations organization. Identify problems and provide solutions to improve these services.
• Collaborate with the international Morningstar developer community to address issues and improve quality of these tools.
• Advocate for sound DevOps and CI/CD processes that can be scaled throughout the enterprise.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field and 5 years of relevant technical experience.
o A Master’s degree is preferred.
• Cloud computing knowledge and experience; AWS preferred.
o One or more AWS certifications is a plus.
• Working knowledge of build, release, and configuration management practices.
• Desire to provide timely and accurate support to the global users of Morningstar’s CI/CD tools.
• Experience with scripting languages like Bash, Python or PowerShell on Linux & Windows.
• Experience with common CI/CD tools like git, Jenkins, Nexus, SonarQube and similar.
• Passionate about staying current on trends and best practices in software development tooling.
• Solid communication and documentation skills.