Upwork ($UPWK) is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.7 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
As Sr. Director,Engineering you will lead multiple engineering teams including the team that builds creative features for Upwork’s largest and most strategic clients including partnership integrations. Additionally, you will be responsible for overseeing payments engineering which is responsible for all money movement globally. The success of this product could lead to a rapid career growth for you and tons of learning. As a Sr. Director of the team, you will come to work every single day knowing that your contributions will disrupt a huge market, the staffing industry, and you’ll help larger companies change how they work and engage with talent across the globe.
- Lead a team of software engineers that partners with our Product & Sales team to deliver innovative, world-class capabilities for our enterprise clients.
- Partner with our Operations team to lead engineering efforts related to billing and payments globally
- Engage and debate with product management and the executive staff on business strategy and the product roadmap
- Drive on time delivery and execution of key projects while maintaining high quality and high site uptime
- Work with technical leads within Upwork to define scalable solutions that serve effectively both enterprise and standard clients.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 10 or more years of experience leading engineering teams in multiple time zones
- 5 more years as an individual contributor with full stack technical depth
- Previous experience leading engineers
- Employment history at both start-ups as well as at least one job at a recognizable consumer Internet company
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.