Senior Elixir Engineer
At its best, local government is a unifying force with the power to dramatically improve lives. Govtech-company CityBase is helping smart people build intelligent government, working with cities, counties, utilities, and states to create a place as dynamic as the people who live in it, work in it, and contribute to it. Accessible and responsive, adaptive and efficient, our cloud-based platform is digitizing the city-hall experience and impacting constituents nationwide.
Interested in joining our team of 60-plus innovators at our Chicago headquarters? Check out our current job listings.
What we are looking for:
We have an opportunity for a talented Functional Software Engineer to join our team and help us build the next generation CityBase platform. As part of an agile, highly capable development team, you will work with our product team to define and implement the future of GovTech. This position will give you experience in Elixir, Phoenix, React Native, React.js, Production deployment of high-availability NoSQL implementations.
- Work closely and collaboratively with a small multi disciplined agile team
- Develop high quality software using BDD,TDD methodologies
- Raise the bar in terms of code quality, helping our teams ship software more often
- Coach and mentor our junior team members as they tackle even larger problems
- Instill a culture of out of the box thinking, exploration and problem solving within the team
- Help make CityBase an emerging leader in GovTech
- 5+ years of software development experience in an Agile environment, utilizing lean/Scrum/XP Programming software development principles.
- Development leadership experience - demonstrated leadership of software engineering teams.
- Experience with enterprise level, high-availability application development.
- Experience with functional programming languages such as Elm, Elixir, or Erlang (Scala, Clojure, F#, etc.)
- Experience using Test Driven Development (TDD).
- Must be able to educate less experienced developers on TDD principles and best practices.
- Experience in developing clean, well architected code.
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux environments.
- Cloud computing (AWS).
- Continuous integration and deployment such as Jenkins, Circle CI.
- Source Control Management (preferably Git/GitHub).
- Strong database skills preferably experience using PostgreSQL.
- Data (SQL or similar query language) and data constructs (XML, JSON).
- Experience developing/consuming Web Services (REST, SOAP, JSON), ETL jobs and API's (Service-oriented architectures).
- Strong understanding of testing methodologies such as functional, SOA and performance testing.