Senior Front End Engineer at Morningstar
About the Role
Morningstar front-end engineering is dedicated to creating thoughtfully engineered financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. In close collaboration with the design team, we deliver complex financial information into experiences that empower our users to deliver better outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but also driving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success. We’re always seeking front-end engineers who are motivated, are driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, and are equally committed to craft and compassion.
We are seeking a senior to lead Front End Software Engineer with full-stack experience to become part of our Workplace and Retirement Solutions team, which is focused on saving retirement in the US. This role is focused on building out new applications that will change the retirement industry, helping people to save more and have a better retirement, as well as iterative transformation of existing applications.
Candidates should have solid software engineering experience in building commercial-grade Web-based applications. You will work closely with designers to build out experiences that our users love, work with API engineers to design performant APIs, and be a part of a team that continuously improves the CI/CD pipeline modernizing the platform. This position is based in our Chicago office.
- Collaborate with designers and act as the bridge between design and engineering to ensure the brand, design vision, and UX best practices are properly translated into the browser.
- Collaborate with the Design System team on enhancements to the central design system library.
- Build reusable UI components and have authored documentation for its API and usage so other developers can easily understand how to use it.
- Create cascading style sheets (CSS) that are consistent across all browsers and platforms.
- Write CSS code that controls the look and feel of the web experience that implements typography, responsive layout, animation, and other visual aspects of the UI with a focus on modularity, flexibility, compatibility, and extensibility.
- Craft semantic HTML markup with a strong focus on accessibility.
- Write unit tests to ensure components keep an elevated level of quality and consistency as they are improved and iterated on.
- Identify challenges and opportunities as it relates to the delivery of UI during planning and execution and has worked with design and product to solve and deliver superior solutions.
- Actively participate in the code review process, receiving and providing constructive feedback on ways to improve code execution.
- Test across browsers and devices to ensure a consistent user experience.
- Create lightweight and fast-loading experiences through optimization of front-end code.
- Use an Agile approach to iteratively maintain and develop new functionality.
- Stay up to date on emerging technologies.
- Promote and implement usability best practices.
- Promote and implement accessibility best practices.
- Mentor junior engineers
- 2+ years experience with client side frameworks such as Vue, React, Angular, Ember, etc.
- Familiarity with server side technologies such as Node.js
- In depth knowledge of and experience designing and implementing front end concerns related to testing, security, performance, accessibility, reusable components, etc.
- Experience working with build process management tools like Grunt, or Gulp, or Webpack.
- Experience working with designers and act as the bridge between design and engineering to ensure the brand, design vision, and UX best practices are properly translated into the browser.
- Experience working with server-side engineers to ensure code is compatible with views, services, APIs, and other architectural
- Highly motivated individual with the potential and desire to learn new technologies and take on an increasing level of responsibility within the technology team.
Nice to have
- Knowledge of AWS, Jenkins, Docker
- Finance industry knowledge/experience (especially wrt retirement industry in the US)
- Architecting/managing micro-frontends.