We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It's been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always proving value to the customer. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You'll find a bit of everything here, and we're always looking to take on new endeavors.
As a member of our Infrastructure team at PEAK6 Capital Management, you’ll have a big impact on the firm. You’ll work within our proprietary trading entity and have genuine opportunities to lead projects to optimize dev teams and deploying their applications. We encourage our teams to explore, learn, and implement new technologies. This is a role for someone who flourishes in a fast-paced environment, takes responsibility for overall systems architecture, and has a solid understanding of designing, deploying, and supporting Linux for end users. This role will report to the Engineering Manager.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Optimizing system performance and stability on critical Linux trading systems
- Monitoring, maintaining, and supporting a variety of underlying infrastructure systems such as Kubernetes, VMware, and Saltstack
- Writing and maintaining Python, Shell, and other scripts that automate tech operations
- Working closely with software development teams to operationalize new applications
- Administration of various STaaS infrastructures.
- Research and implement new systems that improve the way PEAK6 applications run
- Maintain and monitor a server environment of 300+ physical servers and 700+ virtual machines, SAN storage, and other associated hardware components
You’ll gain loads of experience in this role but before you do, you should have:
- B.S. or equivalent degree
- 5+ years’ experience working with Debian/Ubuntu distributions preferred. Familiarity with other Linux distributions a plus.
- Experience programming and scripting in Python and Shell
- Experience with virtualization technologies such as VMware a must.
- Deep knowledge of container orchestration technologies. Experience with Kubernetes preferred.
- Linux performance troubleshooting experience
- Experience with configuration management tools (Ansible, Puppet, or Salt)
- Experience with data virtualization and monitoring technologies like Grafana, Check_MK, and/or Prometheus a plus.
- Knowledge of or administration experience with Elasticsearch, Kafka, Redis, MongoDB, MetalLB, and/or Ceph would be a bonus.
Does our Engineering DNA Match yours?
- We collaborate in small, agile teams to learn and develop innovative technology
- We like to develop impactful features fast so we can share directly with our end-users and iterate quickly
- We’re focused on well-defined software delivery and continuous learning
- People are everything and our support for each other is abundant
- Through open source technology, we continue to evolve our tech stacks while looking for ways to contribute back to the community
- Whether you’re new to our tech stack or an expert, we encourage each team member to experiment with new technologies and take ownership of projects.
- We love to have fun and dedicate time to exploring new technologies and ideas through Tech Days and Hackathons.
*Due to the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, PEAK6 has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our business remotely. This is inclusive of interviewing, onboarding and each role day-to-day. Please consider that our roles will not be remote long-term and will return to a hybrid office setting once we're safe to do so following the guidance of local health authorities and the CDC.
*PEAK6 currently requires all employees as a condition of employment to either be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or submit to regular testing. The CDC defines "fully vaccinated" as two weeks after the second dose for Pfizer and Moderna, and two weeks after the single dose of Johnson & Johnson. PEAK6 will also require proof of vaccination and/or testing. PEAK6 will also consider requests for exemption from these requirements as a reasonable accommodation for medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs.