Senior Manager, Software Engineering (Model Ops) at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As a Sr. Manager, Software Engineering you will be responsible for the technical development of software engineering staff, while using your technical expertise to drive vision into action and results. This role is in the Data & Analytics organization where you will be focused on building and developing a world class, high performing team of engineers who work on developing Discover’s strategic Enterprise Machine Learning Platform. If you’re a hands-on Servant Leader and technical Subject Matter Expert, keep reading!
This Senior Manager role plays a critical part in the development of their engineering team on the ML Ops Capabilities team and will take the lead on effectively skilling, tooling and allocating engineering members to best support the needs of the overall Data Science Lifecycle Capabilities & Products. Investing in the development of the engineering team through coaching and leadership is part of the Discover culture. We celebrate a culture of innovation and learning which grows our technical talent and ultimately serves Discover customers with high quality, reliable products and experiences.
While coaching and development of engineers is this role’s primary responsibility, the Senior Manager will also work with their Product Owner peers to help shape the technical vision for their products. You’ll be key in educating your chapter on the technical vision, and turning vision into best in class execution across a team of software engineers.
This sounds exciting, but what about hands-on work with technology? Keeping your technical skills fresh is as important for engineers as it is for our chapter engineering leaders. Uniquely, chapter engineering leaders have opportunities to solve challenging and complex technical problems in a direct, hands-on way when capacity allows. At Discover, we celebrate our leaders role modeling advanced engineering practices as a way to develop both themselves, and their team members.
If you have a passion for technology and enjoy working with wide array of latest technologies in the cloud and container space and are skilled at developing engineering talent, apply today!
- Provides technical leadership in execution and delivery of technology capabilities to support key business initiatives for our Data Science partners.
- Hire, retain and lead high-functioning, diverse group of engineering professionals, establishing clear objectives and key results, developing consistent set of practices and process across the team and driving towards resolution of challenging problems. This includes all performance management aspects of leading the engineers including acquiring and providing 360 feedback and administering reviews.
- Lead and shape the technical vision within their domain and be an essential member of leadership team including acting as a leader in the Discover engineering community affecting and advancing the architecture across the company and ensuring adherence to all regulatory, compliance and audit requirements. This includes defining how technical work should be done, selecting appropriate tools, defining technology, quality, experience and implementation standards and practices within own technical domain.
- Manages software ownership and development from initial concept through continuous improvement advocating for an automation first mindset.
- Engage with internal and external communities of practice to share experiences, contribute knowledge, learn and advocate for the Discover Technology brand. Promotes team innovation and collaboration of ideas across teams.
- Coaches and mentors team members. Supports individuals to achieve their individual development goals. Utilizes Agile and Lean practices to identify and solve systemic issues.
- Consults with management in the analysis of short- and long-range business requirements and recommends innovations.
- Utilizes tools to support data-driven decision making. Identifies and removes blockers to enable the team to meet business goals.
- Responsible for the application ownership, development delivery, and support for value streams. Manages a team, including hiring, directing, mentoring, and assigning work.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Application Development, or related
- 2+ years of experience in people management
If we had our say, we’d also look for
- At least 1+ years of working with containerization and orchestration (Kubernetes/Openshift) and cloud providers like AWS, Azure, GCP or others.
- Experience in key technologies to be leveraged by the team including Java, Python / PySpark, Spark, CI/CD technologies
- Experience working with a variety of data platforms such as S3, Snowflake, Redis, Cassandra
- Experience building and implementing API service architectures
- Knowledge of messaging systems and streaming platforms such as Kafka, Kinesis, MQ
- Knowledge of machine learning, deep learning and other AI use cases a plus
- Understanding of observability and how to achieve reliability in a service
- Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies
- Skilled in high availability & scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Agile, Scrum Master
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.