Senior Manager of Software Engineering at Morningstar
Fueling the technologies that drive our products and support our company`s infrastructure, the Technology team consists of talented developers, application architects, and IT experts who help make technology one of Morningstar`s core strengths. Though our technologists represent a range of skills and knowledge bases, they all view technology as a craft and care deeply about creating positive user experiences. From Agile methodologies to mobile applications, to software as a service (SaaS) delivered from our private cloud, we push technology`s boundaries to build scalable, elegant solutions that help investors reach their financial goals.
In this role, you will lead the development of a 50+ person global team, spanning Chicago, New York and Shenzhen. The role requires both breadth in managing down, across and up, as well as depth in the software development discipline. The Portfolio and Import teams provide the most critical building blocks and business capabilities (both UI components and business-centric API’s) that support our institutional platform. These domain-specific services are used to create both our internal product experiences, as well allow external clients to integrate seamlessly with our stack.
An ideal candidate would be a self-starter who has roots in software development and gets technology as an art, as well as understands and can contribute to business goals. The individual should help drive and influence the product roadmap; at the same time being an active voice when it comes to designing scalable, flexible technical solutions. The candidate would be fully responsible for delivery and ensuring modern software development practices are being applied with rigor and in a consistent manner. He/she would mentor and motivate the team and cultivate a culture of high energy and technical excellence. This position is based out of our office in Chicago, but a track record of managing successful global teams is required.
Additional Key Job Responsibilities:
• Leverage excellent communication skills to collaborate with cross-functional heads in product management and client management to deliver solutions.
• Manage organizational issues including performance calibration and salary reviews.
• Collaborate with teams in the US, EMEA & APAC for technical and non-technical issues.
• Embrace and enforce Agile best practices of XP and SCRUM to drive principles like test driven development, CI & test automation.
• Act as the software guardian. Own non-functional requirements, architectural direction, quality of the code and addressing technical debt.
• Capable of playing an active role in the analysis, design, coding and implementation of web applications using Java, .NET as backend RESTful API services, as well as web component concepts and frontend technologies such as Vue and Node.
• Provide guidance and recommendations regarding Amazon Web Services and SAAS architectures in general.