Senior Network Security Application Engineer at Cisco Meraki
The modern world runs on the Internet, and the Internet cannot exist without its underlying infrastructure. Meraki makes setting up, managing, and maintaining that infrastructure easier than it has ever been before. Meraki enables connectivity everywhere from neighborhood cafes to education institutions to global hospitality groups operating thousands of sites.
The Security Features team is turning state-of-the-art network security concepts into intuitive, easy-to-use, customer-facing features helping small businesses, schools, and large corporations protect themselves in an ever-evolving security landscape. As a Senior Features Engineer on the MX Security team at Meraki, you will play a meaningful role in helping Meraki customers diagnose, remediate, and altogether prevent attacks from occurring on their networks. You'll have the chance to modernize our embedded platform, shape the direction of the network security business by focusing on customer problems, and utilize Meraki's cloud-managed architecture to develop novel solutions to network security problems. Meraki engineers put the customer experience first, own projects from beginning to end, and are empowered to make impactful decisions.
Meraki believes that crafting the best products is dependent on the quality of our engineers. We place a high value on nurturing the growth and development of everyone on our team. We foster an open and supportive workplace where everybody is given the opportunity to succeed.EXAMPLE PROJECTS OF A SENIOR NETWORK SECURITY APPLICATION ENGINEER:
- Design and implement new iterations of core network security components, such as firewalls, in the context of IPv6
- Build a general forwarding plane API for security feature
- Drive containerization and modularization of security features and the platform as a whole
- Define how and what data are collected to help customers identify individual intrusions and ongoing trends
- You have 4+ years experience as a professional software engineer
- You have a technical degree or equivalent experience with a strong foundation in computer science or software engineering
- You have familiarity in one or more of the object-oriented languages like C++, Java, C#, etc.
- You strive to build rich and dynamic features by growing current tools or by crafting entirely new components
- You can expertly work beyond the boundary of single languages or technologies to identify sophisticated bugs
- You would thrive within a small engineering team and are excited to seek open-ended problems
- You want to understand and leave your mark on how the internet works
- You have understanding of common protocols in OSI layers 3 through 7 (IPv4/6, IPSec, TCP/UDP, DNS, HTTP, TLS)
- You’re interested in security concepts such as cryptography, authentication, authorization, or security protocols
- You're eager to develop and apply modern techniques from open-source software and new Linux tools to embedded platforms
- You delight in learning and applying current networking trends such as IPv6 and zero-trust
We encourage you to drop us a line even if you don’t have all the points above. That's a lot of different areas of responsibility! We will help you pick them up because we believe that great engineers come from diverse backgrounds.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.