Senior Packaging Engineer at RXBAR
We’re looking for a Senior Packaging Engineer to join our Research and Innovation Team in Chicago, IL.
RXBAR is one of the fastest growing natural brands in the country and this explosive growth requires a strong Packaging function that works across numerous materials and forms. The Sr. Packaging Engineer will be embedded in the Research & Innovation organization and work cross-functionally to design and support primary and secondary packaging development for innovation and continuous improvement initiatives across multiple product categories.
Our ideal candidate is technically proficient but looking to grow themselves in functional management. The candidate must be comfortable with learning on the fly, dealing with ambiguity, partnering closely and communicating excellently with Packaging Procurement and Supply Chain Distribution teams, delegating, and problem-solving holistically. The candidate must be committed to the growth of junior cohort and someone who always strives for excellence. This person must be organized; looking to be part of an exciting, fast-paced, innovative company; and hungry to grow new brands.
General Functions + Job Responsibilities:
- Collaborate internally with Supply Chain, Quality, Marketing, and R&I and externally with suppliers, equipment vendors, and manufacturers to innovate new and efficient packaging formats from concept to commercialization that delight consumers, constantly pushing the boundaries, and protecting product quality in a fast-paced environment
- Lead technical research projects related to packaging, including continuous improvement initiatives for existing product packaging, displays, and shippers
- Implement project plans against timelines, create trial protocols, lead packaging aspect of plant trials, and conduct/analyze all tests to ensure successful delivery of quality standards
- Grow a young function within the company and manage one direct report
- Support development of project timelines, commercialization pipelines, and packaging budget
Skills & Qualifications:
- Positive attitude, a thirst for knowledge, and an excitement for growing our business
- Bachelor's Degree in Packaging Science, Package Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, or a related field
- 4-6 years' experience in packaging development and commercialization (food or pharma industries preferred)
- Proficient in flexible and rigid packaging, including film, carton, and corrugate; willing/able to learn new product categories and/or processing/packaging areas and respective equipment
- Skilled in creating dielines and pallet patterns; experience with TOPS strongly preferred
- Experience managing or mentoring an intern/co-op or direct report strongly preferred
- Understands ingredient functionality and interrelationship of ingredients, process, and packaging
- Skilled at Design of Experiments; statistical experience a plus
- Willing to travel (~20%)
About us: RXBAR is a clean-label snack brand with products made from a few simple ingredients and no BS. RXBAR simplifies food by creating snacks that are real and delicious. It's honest and straightforward—no overblown claims, certifications, or gimmicks. With products including RXBAR, RXBAR Kids, and RX Nut Butter, RX makes food that not only tastes good, but is wholesome and nutritious too.
Perks & Benefits: Competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package, 401K plan with Company match, cell phone & fitness membership reimbursement, subsidized commuter benefits, bike & helmet, unlimited products (for real), RXBAR gear and invaluable experience growing a company.