The Business Intelligence market is undergoing a revolution rooted in the idea that not everyone is going to be a data expert, but people should still be empowered to make decisions using data. We believe data storytelling is critical to addressing this problem and Narrative Science is at the cutting edge of this movement. To support this mission, the most successful engineers at Narrative Science balance drive, resilience, humility, and creativity.
The Senior Software Engineer: Data as a Product role will be on our Breadth team, one of our two development teams at Narrative Science. This team is responsible for the components of our data storytelling product, Lexio, that connects to customer data sources, runs analytics, and ensures Enterprise Ready access. The ideal candidate for this role is experienced in data warehouse integration, ETL and data orchestration tools, and ideally some familiarity with Machine Learning tools. Another important aspect of this role is supporting the sales team by successfully integrating Lexio into a customer’s data ecosystem. For this role, you should be comfortable interacting with customers and excited by the opportunity to build product features to solve their pain points.
- Lead the development and delivery of projects while collaborating with Product, QA and Cloud Engineering
- Turn product goals into technical designs
- Be an ambassador for internal and external clients, when needed
- Develop high-quality, maintainable, testable software according to software engineering best practices
- Evaluate technologies in order to make the case for buy/build
- Participate in code reviews
- Mentor junior engineers
- Participate in architecture and software design reviews
- Identify, design, and develop automation and tooling to improve team efficiency
- Support products running in production and respond to incidents
- Collaborate on projects that improve the performance and usability of our product portfolio
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- Proven experience with Python
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Experience working with clients and the determination to work through their problems until they are resolved
- Experience driving and optimizing the end-to-end software development process
- Working knowledge of ETL (extract/transform/load) and data orchestration tools (Stitch, Fivetran, Airflow, Meltano, Dataprep)
- Proficiency with multiple data storage technologies covering relational databases, data warehouses, and NoSQL
- Familiarity with with Machine Learning tools to help foster MLOps
- Experience building highly scalable and performant systems
- Familiarity with building web applications
- Experience developing in Unix systems
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services
If you are reading this and feeling imposter syndrome creeping in, know that this description is a landscape not a checklist. We encourage you to apply!
About the Engineering Team @ Narrative Science
The Engineering team at Narrative Science specializes in delivering high-value cloud-based solutions to customers. Specifically, we are responsible for building and innovating on an insightful and personalized data storytelling platform. We work a lot with data pipelines, analytics, natural language generation (NLG), continuous deployment tooling, and cloud architecture.
Culture @ Narrative Science
Narrative Science believes that data storytelling can empower everyone to understand and take action from their data. Our mission is to build software that leverages artificial intelligence to automatically turn data into easy-to-understand reports, transforms statistics into stories, and converts numbers into knowledge.
Our core virtues (mission-driven, impactful, team first, innovative) are ingrained in everything we do, from how we develop our technology to how we interact with customers to how we hire people. Since 2020, we have embraced a remote-first approach and our team has the option to work from home or safely from our Chicago office. This flexibility will remain after COVID.
At Narrative Science, we embrace the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives of our future employees, colleagues, customers, partners, and other stakeholders. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.