Senior Software Engineer - District
We connect customers to the brands they love by way of a thriving marketplace and a members-only service that provides benefits across 140+ of the best online stores. Our members save time and money with benefits including free 2-day shipping, easy 2-click checkout, and free returns all while we help them stay up on the latest trends that appeal.
For merchants, we're driving eCommerce business, producing insights with a growing data analytics practice to boot. With a powerful two-sided network and a robust data platform, we're creating an eCommerce win-win, helping retailers compete. The landscape of retail is changing and we're here to empower retailers to take their place in that exciting evolution.
We have people in offices around the world: Headquartered in Chicago, with offices in Conshohocken, PA (Philly area), New York, San Mateo and Krakow, Poland. We hustle to get things done, creating wins for customers, merchants and each other.
About the role:
District is ShopRunner’s mobile application that pulls all your favorite stores in one place with free 2-day shipping and returns. As a senior software engineer at ShopRunner working on District, you’ll be helping design and develop our systems. This might include ingesting data from our merchant partners, helping the data science team bring their data models to production, or modifying our core services and applications in our quest to help shoppers and retailers connect in new ways.
What you’ll be working on:
- Scaling our service architecture and embracing approaches such as 12 factor, microservices, and well formed APIs
- Evolving our data pipelines to enable real-time event handling, smarter personalization, and more nimble applications
- Designing and developing new application platforms
- Reviewing, recommending and implementing new technologies
What we’re looking for:
- 6+ years’ experience writing production code for client applications, such as mobile apps or browser apps. We love Polyglots who know several other languages and like the right tool for the job
- Expertise in an object-oriented programming language, such as Kotlin, Scala, Java, or C++
- Experience working with web frameworks such as Spring, Flask, or Ktor
- Experience using data in support of larger efforts, from reusing other services and APIs, to streaming data for smarter online systems
- Experience optimizing larger applications to increase speed, scalability, and extensibility.
- Comfort with database concepts and experience writing SQL in a relational database such as MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Self-starter who can move projects forward by filling in the gaps on Agile teams
- A well-rounded individual with experience in any non-backend technology such as Android, iOS, Vue, or React
- A mentor with a passion for bringing the best work out of peers
We want you to bring your whole human self to work every day. We accept you for who you are and consider everybody on an equal opportunity basis without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.