Brand Experience team's mission is to make Morningstar the top destination for investment research - globally. We aspire to build a user experience that makes it easy for savers and investors, both in their individual capacity and in a professional context, to find and understand the information they need to reach their goals. Additionally, the ecosystem will serve to showcase the breadth and scale of Morningstar solutions we offer to empower long term investor success.
Technology plays a crucial role in achieving this mission. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator that helps create software users love. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
At Morningstar, helping investors is what brings us together and drives our work. We are looking for Senior Software Engineer who specializes in Java and AWS services to join our team, grow with us, introduce us to new ideas and develop products that empower investor success.
As a senior engineer, you will have feature ownership and responsibility for ensuring process and quality adherence through peer reviews, code reviews, test coverage and best practices. Every day, you’ll work with team members across disciplines developing products for investors. You’ll interact daily with our product managers to understand our domain and create technical solutions that push us forward. We want to work with other engineers who bring knowledge and excitement about our opportunities. This position is based in our Chicago office.
- Build well designed, well-engineered, stable, scalable products across a variety of markets
- Develop highly scalable Java based APIs using REST principles.
- Familiarity or desire to become an AWS certified developer
- Apply DevOps practices in area of continuous integration and automated deployment.
- Analyze and remediate production issues, and help build instrumentation and operational readiness into the systems architecture.
- Take ownership of the success of the team with a "gets things done" attitude; the ability to understand and leverage new technologies.
- Solve investors’ problems with technology, understanding market chaos at work and crafting technically appropriate interactive experiences to communicate effectively with individual investors.
- Be passionate about quality, process, programming, and investing in general, seeing opportunities for improvement, seizing them, and then sharing your findings with others.
- Follow good Agile practices.
- A bachelor's in Computer Science or related, plus 5 years of experience leading software application development.
- Experience scaling web-based software applications and services to 100M monthly requests.
- Experience with Java, Linux, and Tomcat, as well as experience with full-stack web development.
- Experience with AWS services including their serverless offerings.
- An understanding of how to protect web applications from common security vulnerabilities.
- Experience with Agile methodology and tools like JIRA and Confluence.
- Be organized and able to remain productive even when you have multiple deliverables.
- Ability and willingness to learn new technologies.
Nice to Have
- Financial software experience is plus.