Senior Software Engineer - Platform (Engineering Effectiveness)
At Sprout Social we are building software that is made to last. Our 20,000+ customers depend on us daily to connect them with their customers, so reliability, scalability, and performance are top of mind. Our software is used by companies like Evernote, Grubhub, Subaru and Edelman to create stronger relationships with their customers through social media. Each day our platform processes tens of millions of social media messages and our APIs handle over 10 billion requests per year to deliver our software to customers in over 100 countries.
Developer tooling and our software delivery pipeline are essential ingredients to keeping our platform flexible and rapidly reacting to changes in the market and social media networks. Our systems execute at scale while staying nimble enough to keep up with new capabilities being offered by social network APIs. Our product is built on top of a variety of technologies, including Java, Python, MySQL, Cassandra, Hadoop, Elasticsearch, NSQ, Docker, and Kubernetes.
- You’ve written and deployed back-end services before, ideally in Java and Python
- You find inefficiencies and rough spots in tooling and fix them
- You’re all in on containers, orchestration, and empowering developers with control over their application environments
- You’ve built or iterated on CI/CD pipelines
- You’re excited by the following:
- Experimenting with technologies that enable developers to ship faster and more reliably
- Building and shipping tools to make developers better at their craft
- Collaborating across disparate teams to arrive at meaningful change
- Automating infrastructure and the infrastructure-as-code revolution
- Making pragmatic technology decisions
We do not operate as lone wolves, cowboy/cowgirl coders, or “10x devs.” Instead, we’re building diverse, collaborative teams that get the best results sustainably. As an engineer on Engineering Effectiveness you’ll build tools and evolve our CI/CD pipeline to enable Sprout’s product engineering teams to move fast to deliver value to our customers...without breaking things!
Ultimately, we’re looking for a creative, collaborative, highly-motivated, and inquisitive learner to build great software with us. If you like building useful tools and want to be on a team that has a huge impact across all of engineering, we’d love to talk with you!
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members
- Work with team members and other developers to improve existing tooling and process pain points
- Monitor the status of our developer-facing services
- Get regular team feedback on your code through code reviews
- Shadow a team member for an on-call rotation
Within 3 months, you will:
- Identify opportunities for wider scale initiatives
- Work with your team to create and prioritize quarterly goals.
- Contribute to our culture of continuous improvement through retrospective meetings and experimentation-oriented thinking.
- Build connections with members from other teams through guild meetings and chapter outings.
- Participate in technical design meetings with your teammates to walk through new feature ideas.
- Join our on-call rotation (don’t worry we’ve got your back!)
Within 6 months, you will:
- Integrate and use monitoring and alerting tools to know about problems with our development tooling infrastructure before they affect developers.
- Be “point person” on a project to improve developer tooling, including writing design documents, coordinating dependencies, and acting as domain owner.
- Form a career growth plan with your manager and work towards it.
- Have opportunities to contribute to in-house technical presentations and workshops that share your expertise with large groups of Sprout developers
Within 12 months, you will:
- Lead the team on several projects ensuring our software development practices and tooling match industry best practices and are reliable and easy to use across our engineering org
- Actively mitigate risk of failed delivery and missed deadlines through transparent communication with colleagues and stakeholders throughout a project lifecycle
- Mentor engineers, helping them level-up technically
- Build connections with members from other teams through active networking and community building
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change your team in beneficial ways that we haven’t yet considered
Of course, what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in downtown Seattle
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. We value the things that make us different and want to see how you can make our team better!