Senior Software Engineer / SRE, Runtime & Traffic at Reverb
As an Etsy employee, you can do the work you love, be yourself, and make an impact in the lives of millions. Our commitments to diversity and inclusion, team culture and the spaces where we work all reflect our mission to keep commerce human.Job Description
The Runtime & Traffic team at Etsy is committed to craft and maintain mission critical systems that power our 69M active buyers, 3.7M active sellers and 80M active listings, with a goal of 99.95% uptime.
Our team’s mission is to build and support world-class infrastructure that is responsible for the availability and reliability of etsy.com and excel at abstracting away the underlying networking complexity. We also create & support paved path experiences for engineering teams on their journey to containers at Etsy.
The Runtime & Traffic team is responsible for the health and reliability of thousands of hosts in GCP that power Etsy.com. We develop and support the infrastructure monitoring stack powered by Prometheus, GKE, Cortex, and Loki. We also manage the networking and content delivery stack which includes our CDNs, DNS, VPNs & enhancing Google’s Software Defined Networking capabilities.
We believe that code is craft, and that the work we do is part of a larger creative culture that includes the hundreds of thousands of inspired artists and designers who make Etsy such a unique marketplace. Small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We believe in measuring everything and keeping up a blameless culture based on trust and a commitment to learning.
You will be playing an instrumental role in crafting the future architecture of how we run our systems in the cloud, and be part of a dynamic international team.
This is a full-time role in Brooklyn/New York, Dublin/Ireland or remote in the US.Qualifications
About the role
- Design, develop and implement highly scalable and maintainable systems by contributing at all levels of our infrastructure stack using technologies like Chef, Terraform, GKE, GoLang, Prometheus, Cortex, Envoy, Consul.
- You will participate in an on-call rotation and will find opportunities for reducing toil and avoiding technical debt to reduce support and operations load on the team.
- You will work with the Engineering org at large to gain a deep understanding of Etsy Engineering, i.e. security, product engineering, risk, database infrastructure teams, and understand up/downstream impacts
- Iterate on existing tooling and evaluate where refactor or replacement is in our best interest.
- You will lead multiple sophisticated technical initiatives involving our infrastructure.
- Empathy, communication, and technical skills are valued equally.
- You have 8+ years of experience in software engineering, where the last 3-4 years is in systems/infrastructure engineering or SRE or DevOps roles, preferably in a cloud environment.
- You've led and completed multiple large, successful projects within a team environment as SRE or Devops. Each of these projects may have taken many months or longer to see through.
- You have in-depth knowledge of Linux operating systems (Centos in specific) and have experience with hypervisors, Linux containers, orchestration managers, with a basic understanding of underlying networking architecture.
- Hands-on experience with Kubernetes (traffic ingresses, cluster networking/administration, pod security policies), Infrastructure As Code tooling like Terraform and configuration management tooling like Chef/Ansible is essential.
- Bash, Go proficiency is essential. Ruby/Python/PHP proficiency is more of a bonus.
- You take the lead in advising and implementing solutions to significantly complex, unscoped problems.
- You have a “leave it better than you found it” mentality, and are willing to work with and improve on code you did not originally write.
- You are comfortable providing estimates or project ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap.
- You are a strong collaborator and communicator with an eye for concise and clear written communication.
- You understand that being an effective software engineer is as much about communicating with people as it is about writing code.
- Your work extends to many parts of the infrastructure and may begin to influence your entire department or domain.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.