Senior Software Engineer at Morningstar
Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
Our Product Groups:
Individual Investor – building products like Morningstar.com and mobile apps for individuals like yourself
Institutional Investor – developing some of our flagship products like Morningstar Direct for institutional investors and our Advisor products for financial advisors
Workplace – this is where we build products and solutions that help employers maximize the value of their workplace retirement plans, including our digital advice platform.
Data – this is the heart of Morningstar where all data is sourced, collected, transformed, calculated and distributed across the world
At Morningstar, empowering investors is what brings us together and drives our work. We are looking for software engineers who specialize in Java and the JVM platform to join our team, grow with us, introduce us to new ideas and develop products that empower our users. You will have product ownership and responsibility for ensuring process and quality adherence through peer reviews, code reviews, test coverage and best practices. You will act as the software guardian, leading non-functional requirements, architectural direction, and the quality of the code while addressing technical debt. Every day, you’ll work with team members across disciplines developing products for investors. You’ll interact daily with our product managers to understand our domain and create technical solutions that push us forward. We want to work with other engineers who bring knowledge and excitement about our opportunities. These positions are based in our Chicago office.
- Build well designed, well engineered, stable, scalable products across a variety of markets
- Enforce good Agile practices (using JIRA) including test-driven development and continuous integration.
- Good working experience in OO analysis & design using common design patterns.
- Apply DevOps practices in area of continuous and automated deployment.
- Analyze and remediate production issues, and build instrumentation and operational readiness into the systems architecture.
- Solve investors’ problems with technology, understanding market chaos at work and crafting technically appropriate interactive experiences to communicate effectively with individual investors.
- Be passionate about quality, process, programming, and investing in general, seeing opportunities for improvement, seizing them, and then sharing your findings with others.
- Familiarity or desire to become an AWS certified developer
- Be responsible for the success of the team with a "gets things done" attitude; the ability to understand and leverage new technologies, potentially wearing many hats including business analyst, DBA, QA, and project manager.
- Help to shape product vision.
- A bachelor's in Computer Science or related, plus 5 years of experience in software application development.
- Experience scaling web-based software applications and services to 100M monthly requests.
- Experience with Agile methodology and tools like JIRA.
- An understanding of how to protect web applications from common security vulnerabilities.
- Be organized and able to remain productive even when you have multiple deliver
- Experience with Java, Linux, and Tomcat, as well as experience with full-stack web development.