Our vision is to ignite a new product revolution by bringing manufacturing capability into the hands of millions of people. To do this we are building accessible tools to help makers generate income from their work. The tools we build are software and hardware products designed to help businesses do their own manufacturing cost effectively. Our revolutionary, web-based Easel software is easy to use, whether you are new to designing products or familiar with CNC software. When you’re ready to carve, our X-Carve machines empower users to create products out of a variety of materials ranging from beautiful hardwoods to colorful acrylics. Our online store provides makers with access to a variety of machine bits and unique materials to make amazing projects.
While our downtown Chicago office and workshop is a space where employees can meet, work, and use our products, we are a remote-first company and welcome talent located across the country.
ABOUT THE POSITION
As a Senior Software Engineer on the e-commerce platform team you'll help us fulfill our vision by:
- Working on all stages of software development, from design, through implementation, testing and deployment
- Mentoring other team members in software development and design
- Working within the team to iterate on our development process and continuously improve our execution
- Evolving our infrastructure to automate operation tasks, and improve our ability to monitor and troubleshoot our software as we grow our business
How We Work
We believe in making time for exploration and innovation. You'll have your own creative project budget, along with access to our workshop. In addition, we set aside every Friday for each engineer to direct their own R&D–whether exploring new technologies, or working on problems they think are important.
- 5 years of software engineering experience
- Experience building a production web application with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with SQL databases
- Experience with test-driven development
- Curious, creative, and collaborative
- Experience mentoring other developers
- Experience working in e-commerce businesses
- Ability to travel once per quarter for company meetups (post Covid)
- Experience with agile development principles
- Familiarity with AWS or similar infrastructure tools
- Experience with React, Redux, or similar libraries
- Familiarity with the Linux command line
- Experience integrating 3rd-party APIs
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Top notch BCBS health insurance
- 401(k) program with 4% contribution
- Flexible Accrued Vacation ("Take what you need" vacation policy)
- Annual “exploration budget” to feed your curiosity
- Annual “creative project budget” to help you stay creative
- Annual professional development budget for conferences, books, courses, or training
- Excellent Parental Leave Policy
- A complimentary Inventables 3D Carving Machine
We value the things that make us different and believe a diverse company drives innovation. Inventables provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants, and prohibits discrimination of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.