Senior Software Engineer at Civis Analytics
What we do
At Civis Analytics we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
Our mission isn’t an aspiration, it’s something we see realized every day. We combine our SaaS products with specialized data science consultancy to enable and support data-driven decision making in organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, City of Boston, and progressive political campaigns.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform. Civis Platform makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report data. Our customers love Civis Platform because they get to focus on answering critical questions with data, rather than managing Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service, Redshift, Airflow, Tableau, and other data technologies.
Our product organization is customer-centric and leverages human-centered design practices to help build and improve our product experiences in ways that delight customers while strengthening our overall business.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
All employees either must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, initiate vaccination before your start date, or file an exemption request prior to start date per company policy for review. Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and employees are remote until further notice. This is being closely monitored as the situation evolves. Although it’s likely our offices will reopen, positions hired outside of Civis office locations will be remote roles.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
What we are looking for
Senior Software Engineers at Civis amplify the contributions of their colleagues by leading engineering teams or tackling our hardest, riskiest, or most complex technical projects.
We trust engineers from all over our team to pick the right architecture, library, or framework for the job at hand. They help make decisions about new products in cross-functional design sprints and take quarterly hack weeks to try out new ideas and new technologies. Civis engineers push code to production on their second day and quickly ramp up on projects of increasing responsibility.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) Team. Our architecture is rapidly growing and we’re looking for talented engineers to assist us in smoothly scaling our infrastructure. Our SRE Team is responsible for automating the collection of metrics from our production environment in addition to researching and implementing stability improvements.
- Develop high-quality software
- Support and mentor other engineers
- Review and debug code
- Effectively apply Civis best practices methodology and enforces design standards, extending them where needed
- Ensures project documents are complete, current, and archived appropriately
- Ability to research, prototype and recommend software solutions
- Collaborate with other teams within the organization
- Engage the project on an emotional level as well as technical
- 5+ years of experience as a software developer/engineer, including experience taking a leading role in significant technical projects
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with ensuring scaling and reliability of large SaaS applications
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with web applications utilizing the MVC design pattern
- Proficient in SQL, Python, and Ruby or equivalent languages
- Love of problem-solving and an eagerness to learn and teach others
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or related subject
- Significant experience with several of the following:
- Leading technical teams
- Experience in Site Reliability Engineering or similar disciplines
- Cloud application deployment and monitoring
- Experience with DataDog or a comparable observability tool
- Experience with Sumologic, Splunk, or a comparable log management system
- Proficiency working with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or another cloud service provider’s platform
- Experience with query optimization or database administration, particularly MySQL
- Experience working within or securing complex compliance standards (SOC II Type 2, FedRAMP, etc.)
Who we are
At Civis, we have opportunities for applicants who are newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anywhere in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas – no matter how big they are. We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo and finding new ways to grow our company and each other.
Why join our team?
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW